How do i simply create a website again?iweb has gone

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by doktordoris, Dec 7, 2011.

1. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

hullo,
    when i had a mac last year i made a website with iWeb. it was splendid fun, i bought a decent web address from go daddy, i think it was, and it was so easy to drag bits about and make a website. i was looking foreword to carrying on when i got my new iMac a couple of days ago. i then discovered that iWeb has been dropped by apple as not many used it. thats fair enough, but can anyone recommend a similarly easy replacement?
    im not a computing idiot, i can build PCs, install OSs, fix my families PCs and Macs etc, but I really can't be bothered with a web design solution that takes time and effort to learn how to use, id rather do something else.
    Can anyone recommend a similar lazy site building solution?

ta

doris

oh yes, ignore the website but below. its all gone.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I would normally say Dreamweaver, but having done a lot of work with Wordpress the last few months, I'm really liking Wordpress, as you can build almost any type of site with some simple skins, and can be hosted locally or on most server hosts.

TEG

3. marc11 macrumors 68000

I used ez web a few years ago. Cheap, easy and basic.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

5. doktordoris thread starter macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

thanks for all the ideas. i shall check them all out online.

doris

6. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Wirelessly posted (IPod Touch 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

iWeb is still around and still works. It will just not be further updated ( apparently).

7. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

8. doktordoris thread starter macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

9. pwhitehead macrumors 6502

pwhitehead

I really love using drupal. You can get it and find out more info at their .org site; its an amazing script with tons of features that blows wordpress outta the water. I love using drupal and the program coda (available on the mac store).

10. DouchGod macrumors regular

DouchGod

11. jusacruiser macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

Web Host Recommendation

I would like to add just one monkey wrench into this discussion.

Which Web Host would you recommend? Does the recommended Web Host also have store front capability?

12. sandimacd macrumors regular

sandimacd

Smug Mug

This is not a solution for all former iWeb users but my website was a place to hang photos and tie them together with descriptions. I have discovered that SmugMug is going to be a welcome replacement for Gallery and iWeb. It stores full res photos, organizes galleries, accepts video and was the easiest CNAME change I ever did. Within minutes it hosted my domain name, which I had set up through Go Daddy a few years back.

You can design your own CSS frames or use their presents. It also gives you the ability to interface with FB and other photo sites, sync or edit or save on iPhone or order items like books, calendars, business cards, etc.

I also tried Word Press but the SmugMug mid level plan (it's a paid service, not free) just blew me away at less than MM per year.
    I am so impressed that I am giving gift certificates to family so they can create their Smug Mug site.