How do I speed up Aperture 3 startup?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Phil Lee, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Phil Lee macrumors 6502

I'm new to Aperture having been a Lightroom user since it was released. I've also been using iPhoto a lot for the integration with my iPhone. I was excited by the release of Aperture 3 so downloaded the trial and ordered the full version too.

I've had the trial installed for a week and am still to make any real use of it. I'm so unhappy with the performance that I've just got an RMA for Aperture (which I haven't unwrapped). In case there's something I'm missing, I'm going to carry on with the trial and ask more questions here and if they resolve my issues I can always reorder it.

First some background on my hardware. I'm using a 2.53GHz MacBook Pro with 4GB of RAM and Snow Leopard. I have a 500 GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue 5400 hard disk fitted in the computer. It is split into two partitions, the boot partition is 320 GB and my video editing partition is 180 GB. I have it split this way to assist with backups since the data on my video editing partition doesn't change much. I would prefer not to have to change this but will do if it is going to make a big difference.

My freshly created Aperture library is 16.89 GB and includes 13,467 photos contained within 419 projects. 7,343 photos are single JPEGs and the remaining 6,124 photos are RAW+JPEG pairs. All photos are referenced and take up 89.6 GB of disk space. The library was created from scratch and I have let Aperture go through the process of creating previews for all the photos and detect all the faces within them. When Aperture is running it has no tasks processing. The library is located on the 320 GB startup partition. There is currently 57.34 GB of free disk space on the partition.

I'm finding that Aperture is painfully slow to start up. It consistently takes 2m 3s to start up the main library which is so slow is makes me not want to use it. After all, I want to get at my photos straight away, not wait for the program to start. I've also experimented with splitting the library up by year. This improves things a great deal but makes proper integration with my iPhone impossible. I don't think my library is particularly big for a pro app so would be greatful for any suggestions on how to improve things. This is the first time since I started using Macs 2 years ago that an app has felt slow.

2. Phil Lee thread starter macrumors 6502

I've come to the conclusion that something must have been up with my library file. This morning I've been experimenting with Aperture. In my original library, I had a project per day with the projects sorted into folders by year and month. I exported each year to separate libraries and found they all opened within 1-2 seconds. I then created a new library and have been importing each of the year libraries one after the other. I've found no difference in start up time after each successive import. My library currently stands at 12841 photos for the years 2003 to 2010. Aperture starts up inside 2 seconds with no tasks processing once it's running.

It looks like I might have to cancel my RMA at this rate.