How do I start cider?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pimpsahoy, Jun 1, 2009.

1. pimpsahoy macrumors newbie

I am planning on porting a game from Windows over to the Mac, but I can't seem to get Cider running. I have tried 6 different downloads of Cider, and they all do the same thing...Cider.app bounces on the ock for a second and then disappears. I am on OS X 10.5.7. Any tips?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That's because there is NOTHING in that application.

Did you even read the instructions? You put the game files themselves into the Cider application itself, rename it, mess with the .plist, and try to load it.

There is also a newer version of Cider than the one you are using. It has a preloader, but is otherwise empty. I'd recommend getting that one.

3. pimpsahoy thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, I should have known. The text files were not 100% clear, thank you. Where would I go about getting this newer version of Cider?

4. killianb macrumors regular

killianb

How good is Cider? I've never used it but quite fancy a try! Is it complicated to get it going or fairly simple? Are there limitations as to what you can port?

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Oh... probably the same place you got that one. ;)

Anything with a pop-up window that you cannot turn off cannot be ported.

Everything else is theoretically possible, but quality and stability depend on your abilities.

6. pimpsahoy thread starter macrumors newbie

The game I am trying to port has a splash screen (not an interactive one where you would have to click "start", just a loading screen), would it be possible to port a game with something like this?

7. killianb macrumors regular

killianb

Can you elaborate on this? Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean! I've seen a port of Counter Strike: Source on the net before but never tried it. I'm not sure what your knowledge of this game is but do you think that's a game that can be successfully ported?

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yeah, that's what I mean; sorry. I couldn't remember the name. Can't port stuff with splashes.:(