How do I "start over"..?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by N3FF 3000, Feb 18, 2009.

1. N3FF 3000 macrumors newbie

What is the easiest way to wipe out my HD so I can reinstall OSX? I've had some tiny issues and was thinking this would be the best thing to do. Thanks in advance.

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Put in your MAC OS X disc and it will give you options of how to wipe it. Choose the one you like and re-install. It's really simple.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

While it's easy to reinstall Mac OS X, it's rarely necessary. Why not resolve your "tiny issues" without such drastic measures?

4. N3FF 3000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I brought it to a "Genius" and he was anything but. He basically told me that nothing was wrong. I repaired permissions and have done all the little things I could do to try to fix the problem. How long does this process take btw?

5. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Depends what kind of wipe you do. At the least, probably an hour and a half.

6. eddietr macrumors 6502a

What is the problem?

I agree that reinstalling the OS may be overkill.

7. N3FF 3000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Folder lag. I'll click on a folder and it takes 10-15 seconds to show it's contents and no thats not exaggerated. Also programs have been closing unexpectedly at a very high rate. This is a month old machine so there is no way this is "normal". My older MBP runs smoother than this one..

8. m1stake macrumors 68000

Is your hard disk nearly full? Is the computer overheating?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You've already started 2 threads on this issue:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=647051
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=645857

It won't help to keep starting duplicate threads, and it's against the Forum Rules:
    I suggest you stick with one thread and take the time to read the suggestions that people make.

10. N3FF 3000 thread starter macrumors newbie

And neither thread helped me out, no need to be a mini mod. Unless you are a mod, either way, no reason to make a big deal out of it. And no the HD is barely used, this is a brand new MBP.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Most who are new here have sense enough to accept guidance from those who have been around for a while, especially when asking for help. Anyone new will benefit from reading the rules and FAQ. Ignoring the rules and developing an "attitude" isn't the best way to start your experience here.

Picture 5.jpg

12. N3FF 3000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Didn't mean to come off with an attitude, my fault. But I've read the suggestions in the other threads and nothing had helped. I believe I made those threads at least a week ago so I figured it would be easier to just make a new thread instead of finding an old one and replying. I don't know if theirs a way to find previous threads I've made being as I am new here.

13. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You can find your previous threads by clicking User CP at the top ... Make sure you have subscriptions enabled, even if you choose No Email Notification (Under Quick Links, User Options). This enables you to keep track of threads you have posted in.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Finding threads you've started and replied to is easy. If you click "User CP" on the toolbar above:
    Picture 7.jpg

you'll be taken to your User Control Panel, which includes, among other things:
    Picture 6.jpg

Many times, a solution isn't the first thing recommended. It's helpful if you go back to the thread where a recommendation was made and say, "I tried that. It didn't work. Any other ideas?". That gives others a chance to offer more ideas and also lets other people know what does and doesn't work for your kind of problem, and everyone benefits.

15. N3FF 3000 thread starter macrumors newbie