How do I stop people from attempting to connect to my wireless network?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ozreth, Nov 15, 2012.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

So a bunch of people in my complex were connecting to my network until I stuck a password on there. But now I see in finder that all of those computers are still continuously attempting to connect (and failing). Im assuming this is bogging down my network? It sure feels like it. Can I stop this? Thanks :)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If they're not connecting, it's not bogging down your network. Make sure your WPA2 password is long and complex and you should be fine. It also wouldn't hurt if you changed it periodically. You could also create a closed network, so they wouldn't even see it. To do that, launch AirPort Utility and select your network, then go to Wireless > Wireless Network Options > Create a closed network

3. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Change the name of the network and continue to do so. I highly doubt thats the real reason though. If they dont have the password then data is sent back pretty quick that they can't connect. You would need to have numerous people doing it continuously to have any real affect.

4. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Well, it's 3-5 computers attempting to connect ALL day long. It never stops. Ever.

For some reason I didn't think to change the name but I'll do that. Thanks!

5. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I guess the guys that try to login have set their pc to login that automatically. Maybe you could change the ssid of your router. You could use a name that lets them know you're not happy with intruders on your wifi.

6. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

good tip ... especially the name :D

you can also disable the SSID broadcast if you're really paranoid

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

You could always turn the router off when you are not using it.

8. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

I had the same problem before, so I disabled SSID broadcast, changed SSID & password, and enabled MAC address filter. it has never been a problem since. =]

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Those actions will solve 99% of the people trying to jump on your network. If someone is intent on getting on, MAC filtering and the others can be circumvented but most people are just neighbors trying to use your internet connection