How do I stop someone from hacking my iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Billy13190, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Billy13190 macrumors newbie

A month or so ago my iPhone 5c was hacked. Text messages were sent without any action on my part, apps on my iPhone were deleted and new ones were downloaded, mainly games. When I tried to stop them downloading, I got messages asking if I wanted to delete apps I had previously downloaded. The hackers had got my AppleID somehow, and had changed the language on the AppleID site to Korean!
    It took me some time, but with the help of Apple Care I managed to restore the iPhone, or so I thought.

I was more recently the victim of a "spamming attack" on my MacBook Air where e-mails were sent from my computer by a spammer. I changed the password on my e-mail account. Since then on 3 occasions I have observed weird mouse behaviour when using Internet: twice it was impossible to move on a web page, I became stuck at the bottom of a page and had to reboot; another time a video I was watching went into a kind of slow motion, starting and stopping again several times a second. So it seems like I have some sort of malware on my Mac.

Now I have the problem with my iPhone again; whenever I have the "Localisation service" option on, text messages are entered on my phone, although none have been sent yet.
    When I went on the AppleID website yesterday, my birthdate had been changed, so apparently they have got my AppleID password again. I changed the password yesterday.
    Could they get the password through iCloud? or a keystroke logger on my computer? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Change your icloud itunes password to something with numbers, caps and small letters and a special character.
    Also enable 2 step verification.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5570

About your computer video freezing and stopping and going has nothing to do with hacking. But now that you had someone get in your apple id you think everything is hacked:D
    Also spammers send tons of emails and can mask it to look like it came from your email account when in reality it hasn't. Its just spoofed to look like that.
    Some websites are written poorly and can cause a computer to freeze or lock up and need a reboot. Just keep your macbooks software fully updated and you'd be fine and not have to worry about viruses or malware.

3. Billy13190 thread starter macrumors newbie

Problems with my MacBook Air too

Thanks for your advice.
    Some other weird things have been happening on my MacBook Air, such as the WiFi connection not working despite being apparently connected, while other (PC) computers in my home are able to connect to Internet, the sound being turned off, paper size for printing being changed. Also one time when I clicked on a link to Apple Communities Support I got a message (in French, I'm in France) saying something like "You are not authorised to see this information, please contact your network administrator"!.
    Any ideas?
    Bye

4. I7guy macrumors G5

Sounds like random technical issues that need to be sorted out and addressed.

5. Billy13190 thread starter macrumors newbie

My iPhone has been hacked again

Hi
    AppleJuice: I followed yr instructions and everything was fine till a few days ago. First the hacker(s) entered a note in my Notes App. Then today without me touching it the phone started playing music from the Music App, trying to send an e-mail, changed alarms I had set on my phone, tried to set a reminder, opened a whole bunch of apps.

On both occasions I had the localisation function on. But even when I turned it off apps were opened without me touching the phone.

Could this be some sort of malfunction on the iPhone?

Otherwise it means they've got my AppleID again, altho it's unguessable and I've set 2-step verification. The AppleID is a gmail address, also with 2-step verification. Apart from changing my AppleID again, is there any other solution?
    Bye

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sounds like a very wild story but I'll bite.
    Or maybe a hardware issue with the phone if apps open and close randomly.
    Bring it to Apple and tell them or show them what it's doing. Good luck.

7. Billy13190 thread starter macrumors newbie

Latest instalment

The guy at the Apple Store said to do a phone backup on iTunes, then a restore.
    Then change the AppleID and then another back-up on iTunes.

He has no idea how the hacker managed to obtain the new AppleID, he said only people at AppleCare have access to that information. Weird ****.

8. melb00m macrumors regular

I think somebody might have access to your PC/Mac, and can retrive your (new) iCloud password from there. It's used for many places on the Mac as well, like E-Mail and Calendar Sync.

If you have Automatic Download active on your iOS device, new Apps purchased with that account will automatically be downloaded, and iMessages can as well be sent using your credentials.

Wipe your Mac, install everything from scratch and install the latest security updates.
    Do the same with your iOS devices, and don't restore from backup!
    Check for firmware updates for your network equipment, especially your router.
    Then change all your passwords to something strong, and use individual passwords for every individual login.

9. Billy13190 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

:)
    Hi Melb00m
    Thanks for taking the time to help out.

If by access you mean actual physical access, that's impossible because I work at home (need I add my wife and kids don't have the password to my Mac?:D).

However it's possible the hackers may have succeeded in installing a keystroke logger on my Mac using false "Adobe/Java/Javascript update" windows. I read somewhere that this is possible. I think I may have clicked on such windows a few months ago. For the time being I hope this is not the case.

An Apple Care guy I talked to said he reckoned a spy app had been downloaded onto my iPhone. It's true my initial AppleID was easy to guess, it was just my main e-mail address (doh). This might explain how the hackers ($$ckers) were then able to see my new AppleID.

Anyway I followed the Apple Store guy's advice, and have reset my iPhone with factory settings (and no I didn't restore from backup). I'll just keep downloading the latest security updates to my Mac, iPhone and iPad and see what happens next. If the problems continue I shall have to adopt the nuclear option you outlined.

Cheers

P.S.

I've changed all my passwords to make them stronger too.

10. melb00m macrumors regular

You're welcome. I was not talking about physical but remote access, as you already guessed.

It's probably not very likely, but if someone is actually targetting you specifically and has some kind of back door installed on your Mac, he might be able to still access your system and retrieve your passwords again. Most of sensitive information on the Mac is stored in the Keychain, which will encrypt the data using the user password (at least in the default configuration). So you might want to change your Mac user password, as well.

For now I'd not panic and see if that behavior starts appearing again. If it does, I recommend taking some bolder steps to protect your sensitive data.

11. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

I feel like I should ask this, but do you think anyone would be targeting you specifically? It sounds like a long shot, but it's worth asking.

12. Billy13190 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes somebody is targeting me specifically, and I have a pretty good idea who it is. They've been harassing me in a variety of ways for the last couple of years. For reasons I won't go into here I can't take legal proceedings.

Given the hassle i've been going through I never use the passwords proposed by Keychain, and have never set it up (although in that case why is it proposing passwords to me?). Also, I recently changed my Mac user password but you're right it's a good idea to change it again.

I'd welcome any advice about bolder steps to protect sensitive data, apart from wiping the Mac and starting over.

Cheers

13. Billy13190 thread starter macrumors newbie

Latest development

Hello again
    This morning the hackers managed to infiltrate the photo app on my iPhone. I got a message asking if I wanted to add photos to an album that I didn't create and that doesn't exist on my iPhone.
    A few days ago I created a photo stream to share photos with my mum, maybe that's how they managed to get in. So this morning I changed the passwords for my AppleID and the gmail address that I use as my AppleID. Apple Care told me they can "block" my AppleID if I want which apparently protects it. The disadvantage is you lose any apps and music you bought.

Cheers