How do I stop the sonic boom!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MiniD3, Jan 14, 2014.

1. MiniD3 macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Hi Guys,
    When I first switch on the iMac for the day, I always get the loud sonic boom, even if I have the sound muted

Is there a way to stop it or do I just have to live with it?
    ....Gary

2. simsaladimbamba

You could use the SLEEP function or try to mute it these ways.

3. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

4. adamneer macrumors 6502

i learned in another thread that the volume for the startup chime is set by the volume level last set while no external speakers are plugged into the computer. I too, had a very loud startup chime, and always had external speakers plugged in. Upon disconnecting the speakers and lowering the volume on the keyboard, the startup chime is now set much lower.

5. MiniD3, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014

MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Well, thank you very much, that did the trick! :)

I had head phones plugged in for a couple of weeks, (been watching a lot of Photoshop training videos)

I'm thinking, they are technically speakers!
    Pulled the jack out,
    Turned down the volume till it went mute
    Restarted, no boom!

Thank you, how simple was that! :)
    Regards,
    Gary

6. adamneer macrumors 6502

7. Sturgeon boy macrumors member

Sturgeon boy

ive tried the start up ninja app and also tried muting my imac before turning it off both methods don't work for me i have a set of external speakers plugged in but they are turned off when i fire my imac up im not to sure about changing lines of program unless its pretty simple

8. simsaladimbamba

from the article I linked to. which offers ONE line of code to silence the startup chime:

9. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

What iMac is this? I would highly recommend not shutting down you iMac every night though, it would just deteriorate the HDD faster.

10. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

late 2013,
    27"_32GB_750SSD,
    How does that deteriorate the HDD?

11. dictinaker macrumors newbie

It does.

12. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

It is excessive read write cycles. A Hard Drive theoretically has an infinite amount of read writes compared to a HDD, but there is two main things that deteriorate its lifespan, heat and boot up/down cycles.

Now, you told me above that you have an SSD rather than a HDD, so shutting down and booting up is even worse. An SSD has a set number of writes it can perform. This number is usually so high that something else in your computer will go wrong before it. But having excessive read/writes on it is just wasting it. It's like deframenting as SSD.

13. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

SSDs and HDDs used in modern computers have so many write cycles that you'd have to rewrite tens of gigabytes daily to see any significant degradation within a computer's normal 5 year lifespan.

Shut it down if you want without fear of wearing anything out. However, the iMac's sleep mode uses very little electricity and wakes up nearly instantly versus rebooting.

14. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

15. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

It is unnecessary read writes.

16. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Believe that if you want, but booting your computer daily does not contribute to any significant wear that was not already anticipated during the drive's design process. In fact, I'd even suggest that consumer-grade drives (not enterprise-grade drives) aren't designed to spin 24/7 for years at a time, and that you're shortening your drive's life by letting it run continuously.

And with SSDs, you'll "save" far more "unnecessary" write cycles by turning off Spotlight indexing and disabling any hibernation mode your Mac/PC has (since it'll write the entire contents of RAM to the drive) than you will by not booting your machine. Spotlight continuously reads/writes to your drive to keep an up-to-date index of the contents of all your documents, email, etc. I bet you haven't disabled any of that, have you?

However, I leave my computers - and all their various drives - on continuously, especially since they're all usually doing something in the background (remote file access, iTunes server, etc.). But not for fear of wearing anything out, but for simple convenience.

17. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Come on people. Shutting down every night is not a big deal. There is very little evidence out there that it creates a shortened life span on the machine. Something else will break long before anything goes wrong with the hard drives due to excessive shut down/restarts.