How do I stop theft?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Mushrooshi, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Mushrooshi macrumors regular

Hmm...

After the recent finding of my iPod Nano, I am really concerned about not losing it. I am looking for something that can stop a would-be thief from stealing my iPod, such as getting an armband or a anchor thing. Highschool can be a brutal place, and with my new Highschool (I'm a freshman) being nearby (but not in) a ghetto "hood", with pawn shops (UGH) an such, I am paranoid my own will get stolen. Incase you don't know, Apple has filed a patent for something that detects weird charging algorhythms and if the computer doesn't matcht he usual it will not charge, basically meaning it only works on your computer and not a thiefs.

Thanks

2. ds252 macrumors regular

Is there a tracking device that could be put inside the ipod to track it or is that asking for too much.

3. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Super glue or a Glock works for me :rolleyes:

But seriously if someone is really motivated to steal an iPod they probably find a way to do so despite the efforts you've gone to.

4. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

5. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

Apple (or allow someone) needs to create a phone home program that is imbedded in the firmware so when you buy your shiny iPod you can lock it out hackable yes but it will deter most criminals

6. Mushrooshi thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies. I am a DDR (Dance dance revolution) addict, and lets just put it this way... IF I listen to "Drop The Bomb" on my iPod at school... I could be suspended. Also, Kick someones ass, go to Juvy. Also, Guns are total expellment and are probably worth about at least 6 months in Juvy.

If I ask my parents to buy a tracking device they may think that I am being bullied, when the worst that has happened this year (so far 3 days...) is someone calling me a "Gay Asian Sh*t". He taunts everybody though... and he is far too small to even hurt most people, and he tries to satisfy a huge "teh sch00l pen0rz" by braggin about smoking weed. I find it amusing he teased my asian-ness yet he is Korean himself.

So tracking devices are a total no-no.

And lol, i've seen hide-a-pod.

THe best I can think of is tieing a knot with the earbuds around a belt loop. Also, my friend grabbed my iPod from my pocket because he wanted to listen to what I was listening to (Candy <3 by Riyu Kosaka)(And no, I am not a girl... I like J-pop...), and I slapped him and he yelled... until I realized it was my friend. So I do have the reflexes, but what if some dude on the crotchrocket steals my iPod and it disconnects from the earbud jack? and they are too fast or too big to stop.

Are there any iPod cover things that have wrist-straps or belt clips, and that they don't come off easily if they are belt clips.

7. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Awesome. Is that for real? I can't imagine they would pay $300 for a Zune to gut it and turn around and sell it for $30

8. Scott982 macrumors member

Scott982

Just keep it on you at all times and don't leave it laying around in a bag, etc.

9. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Just leave it at home, playa. I was with you until you broke out the dance-dancing, bully worrying crap. I don't mean any offense, but smart money says you're either 80lbs or 300 and the only ass that would be kicked is yours if **** got to poppin'. Hell, you use words like "amusing."

If you buy a belt clip for your iPod, you deserve to get it taken :rolleyes:

Get a walkman and leave the pod back at the crib.

10. doobi18 macrumors 6502

Hide-a-pod

haha damn someone beat me to it,

HIde-a-pod is an absolutely hilarious concept, but so true.

Whilst everyone wants to steal an iPod, no one would touch a zune!

11. Mookamoo macrumors member

Dont take it to school.

You are able to function as a human without one.

12. todd2000 macrumors 68000

When I first clicked the link I thought it was just a case that looked like a Zune, then I saw that they claimed it was an actually Zune. It fake (click on purchase to see), but the site is funny non-the less... :) I like this FAQ

Will all iPod models (and iPhone) fit?
    Of course! The Zune is so incredibly huge that there’s plenty of room for any iPod or iPhone along with your choice of accessories, a sack lunch, and maybe a small cat.

13. officerdick macrumors regular

The most peaceful way to avoid getting robed is by gaining som respect by the ghetto dudes.
    The easiest way is just not to bring it places where you think people will steal it.
    And what country is it where you cant even walk with an iPod without getting mugged? There must be big social, and economical differences in that nation. Since so many people feel that taking from others, is the only way to survive. Let me gues... U.S.A?

14. homeboy macrumors 6502

Lol, great advise.

But seriously I'm ice cold when it comes to my belongings, especially gadgets. They are with me at ALL times, never out of sight and if someone wants to borrow my iPod I sit in the same room as them.

As for not getting mugged it's a different story. The best advise is to try and look hard. It is always easy to spot an easy victim by looking at their eyes and how they walk.

Most importantly don't wear the white earbuds, they suck any ways. black earbuds are more discrete since the thief might think you have some cheap $40 DAP.

15. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The best solution is not to bring an iPod to school.:rolleyes: