How do I stream movies from mac to VLC for iOS?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by rudychidiac, Feb 10, 2014.

1. rudychidiac Suspended

rudychidiac

Hey guys, in the official VLC iOS app there's a "local network" section that gives you the ability to stream movies over FTP.

How do I set this up on a mac to watch movies on my iPhone and iPad and save space?

Thanks a lot guys!

2. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I ran across your thread while searching for something else. It's a few months old but I see that it has no replies. Hopefully you've already resolved this issue by now, but if not, I'll reply for you (and for the benefit of anyone else who might also be curious).

What you'll need to do is set up UPnP media server software on your Mac. There are paid and free options available. Of the free options, the two that seem to get some of the most buzz are XBMC and Plex (which is based off of XBMC). There are some differences in functionality but the major difference is in the appearance of each.

I chose to go with Plex, and don't have any experience with XBMC. Plex pushes you to create an account with them and talks about paid subscriber-only features, but you can choose not to make an account, and it is fully functional without paying anything. Streaming to VLC works nicely.