How do i sync my iPhone contacts to my iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by copydeskcat, Jul 28, 2010.

1. copydeskcat macrumors regular

I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad, both connected to the same iTunes account and PC.

How do I get all the contacts from my iPhone on to my iPad without mucking things up?

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

You should be able to sync contacts from iPhone to Windows Address Book then sync from WAB to iPad, all through iTunes.

3. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

How did you got your contacts on your iPhone in the first place? I would follow these similar steps.

4. copydeskcat thread starter macrumors regular

I put them in manually.

I would sooner dip my head in a vat of boiling porridge than use Windows Address Book to sync my contacts.

Is there no other way of doing this?

5. Zcott macrumors 68020

Wireless sync with either MobileMe or Google exchange server. Search for "google sync" and you'll get all the details.

6. copydeskcat thread starter macrumors regular

Signed up for the free 60-day trial of MobileMe, synced over-the-air, then deleted the account. Simple.

7. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

MobileMe is pretty good in my opinion. Worth the money as it just works and works.

8. huskerchad macrumors regular

Set up a gmail account, even if just to sync your contacts over the air. It is free and works well IMO. I use it across several computers as well as an iPad and an iPhone and I don't have to think at all about keeping contacts in sync--it's all automatic and (nearly) instantaneous.

9. PerfectCr macrumors regular

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

What do you have against Windows Address Book? Just think of WAB as a backup for your contacts - you don't have to use WAB just because you are using it to sync!

11. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

As recommended by one in this thread, you should use Google Sync. It's just easy to store the data in the cloud and then it's easy to move between devices especially when you upgrade to other devices. You can use it for calendars as well which can be handy.

if you have everything on your phone now, when you dock next time you just choose to sync contacts with gmail/google. It'll say something about preserving existing which you want. Obviously, you will need a gmail account. After you do that, then you can shut off the iTunes sync and just use the over-the-air google sync. So if you put a contact on the iPhone, it'll show up on the iPad within a few seconds automatically.

Just read up on the google sync site. Gives all the details so then you don't have to be tethered to a PC with the syncing or worry about loosing with harddrive failure or anything.