how do i take a clip from a dvd and use it imovie or quicktime

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by igas, Oct 31, 2009.

1. igas macrumors newbie

this is my first post!!! need much help.

i have a dvd movie nacho libre i would like to use a clip from it.

how do i extract that short clip from the movie and use it so the quality is still good enough to share??

any suggestions or software would be most appreciated!!

2. anthemus macrumors regular

anthemus

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

There is also MPEG Streamclip, which gives you the ability to choose more editing friendly formats as an output, as Handbrake uses codecs meant for distribution, and you can even select in and out points (marking the scene you want), so you don't have to convert the whole chapter (the smallest entity known to Handbrake). The downside to this is, that one needs the QuickTime MPEG-2 playback component installed to play the DVD in MPEG Streamclip.

Also know that DVDs come with copy protection schemes, to avoid copying, which can't be handled by Handbrake or even MPEG Streamclip, when you use the DVD directly. If that is a problem you encounter, be sure to use a ripping (copying DVD's contents to HDD) software like MacTheRipper or RipIt.

4. spice weasel macrumors 65816

Use Mac the Ripper to rip the DVD to your local drive, then find the vob file that contains the clip you want. Use MPEG Streamclip or ffmpegx to convert the vob to dv. Import this dv file to iMovie and edit as you like.