how do I take a mounted image of leopard and make it into a dmg?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mmaaxx, Nov 18, 2007.

1. mmaaxx macrumors newbie

Nov 18, 2007
    My father (who lives in the same house) bought leopard. According to him I am allowed to make a copy of it along with the other members of my household.

Here is my question: He took the cd and mounted it on a partition of an external hard drive. Now I have the hard drive sitting here. After I installed it I realized I will not have any way to restore my computer if it crashes without a cd or copy of it. How can I take the mounted copy of the cd from my external and make a dmg of it again.?

I tried using disk utility, but leopard was restored to a 16gb partition so when I clicked to make a new image in disk utility it came out as a 16gb file not a 7ish gig file like it should be to fit ona dl dvd.

Any help is appreciated
  2. webgoat macrumors 6502a

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, TX
  3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    If your computer crashes you won't have access to the DVD? :confused:
  4. mmaaxx thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 18, 2007
    yeah he got the family pack it allows for up to 4 people in the household to install AND COPY it. says so right in the fine print---nothing illegal.
  5. mmaaxx thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 18, 2007
    can't hurt to have a backup and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it either. Thanks
  6. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

Sep 10, 2005
    heh, now you got me thinking.. me and my brother were going to buy leopard family pack over winter break.. and just share it but he goes to school and I in the midwest.. i was going to do the same thing as you and keep a image copy of it on my ext. hdd, but you have created a interesting dilemma. :p

I wish the family pack just came with 5 dvd's or whatever the number is, I would gladly pay a extra $10 for that. :eek:
  7. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Jul 15, 2006
    Try CarbonCopyCloner

it is pretty straight forward, but if Disk Util gives you a 16GB image, I would almost bet CCC will to,

Do a Block-level copy if you can though,
  8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    I always just used Disk Utility and made a CD master disk image of my scratched of Tiger Disc. :confused:
  9. mmaaxx thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 18, 2007
    My father is on vacation for two days and I do NOT go through his personal things. So right now all I have is this on an external harddrive. He restored it to a 16gb partition too so it makes things more complicated.