How do I tell if Edge is off on 1st Generation iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by asdfTT123, Aug 4, 2008.

1. asdfTT123 macrumors regular

I just got my unlocked 1st Gen iPhone in the mail today and I'm using it with T-Mobile. I want to turn off EDGE because I currently have no data plan. I installed bossprefs and turned EDGE off but how can I be sure it is off? I notice on the top corner of the display that there is sometimes an E in a blue square, and at other times and E in a white square. What does all of this mean? Thanks.

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

An "E" on the upper left means you have EDGE.

Why you have it "on" when you don't subscribe is beyond me...

Did you have a Blackberry or Sidekick? Those come with EDGE data plans.

I used mine for a while without a data plan and the "E" never appeared.

3. asdfTT123 thread starter macrumors regular

I turned it off through Bossprefs but the E is still there. Any ideas?

4. asdfTT123 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, so I have EDGE disabled in Bossprefs and I went to http://unlockit.co.nz to generate a fake APN. I read the usage, and under Cellular Network Data it reads 0 bytes. Is this correct and can I trust it? How accurate is it? I still see the [E] sometimes when the wifi is off. Does having the [E] still mean EDGE can be disabled? Thanks.

5. maximus06 macrumors regular

Having the exact same "problem". I just want EDGE gone to save battery power. It could just be a display glitch though, i.e. EDGE is actually disabled but the icon still pops up...maybe not?

Regardless, you don't have to worry about accidentally downloading data if you don't have a plan, because unless you enter your providers server details in the EDGE settings, you cannot even use it. Try it, it will tell you that your EDGE settings aren't setup yet.

6. asdfTT123 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey, thanks. I tried turning EDGE on and wifi off just to check what would happen and I got this message from Safari:

"Could not activate cellular data network: You are not subscribed to a cellular data service"

Does this mean I should be safe from any charges? The usage meter still says 0 bytes sent/received. Also, are there any other charges I should be wary about?

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you can't go online, you should be safe; just don't use Maps either.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Honestly, you probably won't know for sure until you get your next bill. But if your usage says 0 bytes, then you're probably okay.

As a aside: I really don't get why people get an iPhone and then try to go without data.

9. maximus06 macrumors regular

Again. If you have not gone and entered an IP address for the GPRS/EDGE to connect to, you CANNOT use mobile internet. Especially if it tells you that its not working. Quit worrying already :p