Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
i bought an iPhone 7 off a guy on Craigslist he said the phone is unlocked. How do I tell? Any help is appreciated.

iApplereviews

Suspended
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
i bought an iPhone 7 off a guy on Craigslist he said the phone is unlocked. How do I tell? Any help is appreciated.
Insert a SIM card from a different network and if it works it's unlocked. If it was purchased from Best Buy or Apple directly it should be a factory unlocked model.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Insert a SIM card from a different network and if it works it's unlocked. If it was purchased from Best Buy or Apple directly it should be a factory unlocked model.
It can still be locked when purchased from Best Buy, for example.

iApplereviews

Suspended
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
It can still be locked when purchased from Best Buy, for example.
The models sent to Best Buy are factory unlocked iPhones. The only time one would be locked would be if it hasn’t been paid off. But the phone itself is still a factory unlocked iPhone.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
The models sent to Best Buy are factory unlocked iPhones. The only time one would be locked would be if it hasn’t been paid off. But the phone itself is still a factory unlocked iPhone.
Best Buy phones follow the unlock policy of the first SIM card that is activated on the phone. So you'd have to contact the carrier to unlock the phone for you, unless it's Verizon as they don't lock their 4G devices.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Reactions: timeconsumer

iApplereviews

Suspended
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
You said you already bought it? Have you tried your SIM in it yet?
[doublepost=1548531026][/doublepost]
Not quite, as Best Buy and various retailers go by Flex policy, which can result in locked devices: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...bject-to-the-us-reseller-flex-policy.2079815/
I said that. I only said the iPhone model itself is factory unlocked. It will only be locked depending on carrier/payment status). But when Best Buy gets the phone it’s factory unlocked.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You said you already bought it? Have you tried your SIM in it yet?
[doublepost=1548531026][/doublepost]
I said that. I only said the iPhone model itself is factory unlocked. It will only be locked depending on carrier/payment status). But when Best Buy gets the phone it’s factory unlocked.
Well, it's not really payment based in that scenario as much as it's based on how it's activated.

iApplereviews

Suspended
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
Well, it's not really payment based in that scenario as much as it's based on how it's activated.
Yes but if it’s financed most carriers lock it until it’s paid off then it will automatically be unlocked. Except as you said Verizon because they don’t lock LTE devices

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes but if it’s financed most carriers lock it until it’s paid off then it will automatically be unlocked. Except as you said Verizon because they don’t lock LTE devices
Sure, there's that, but that's something that's there in general different/separate from a phone purchased from Best Buy and whether or not it's locked or unlocked based on that.

iApplereviews

Suspended
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
Sure, there's that, but that's something that's there in general different/separate from a phone purchased from Best Buy and whether or not it's locked or unlocked based on that.
He said he already bought it too so it’s a bit late to be asking how to tell if it’s unlocked or not.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
He said he already bought it too so it’s a bit late to be asking how to tell if it’s unlocked or not.
Not sure what that has to do with what was being commented on in relation to Best Buy. That said, the question has been asked by the OP, whatever the reasoning might be.

iApplereviews

Suspended
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
Not sure what that has to do with what was being commented on in relation to Best Buy. That said, the question has been asked by the OP, whatever the reasoning might be.
Has nothing to do with Best Buy I’m just saying that either way he already has it so locked or not it really doesn’t matter

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
I use it on at&t I was just wondering if it was unlocked so when I go to sell it I can advertise it as unlocked. I called at&t and they did confirm it was unlocked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.