How do i tell my computer to use my external disk-burning drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by audiochic, Sep 22, 2009.

1. audiochic macrumors newbie

Sep 22, 2009
    Washington DC
    Can anyone please tell me how to tell my macbook pro (tiger os x 10.4) to read my new Lacie external dvd/cd-burning drive in order to burn a dvd, rather than the current internal apple one (which came with the mac upon purchasing and recently went kaput)? btw, I CAN see this Lacie's name-path when I go into the apple-icon's "about this mac/more info". Then, I can see the lacie drive's name-path either by accessing the Hardware's option of "FireWire" or "Disc Burning". That's the gist that I can figure out right now--nowhere are there instructions for SWITCHING the disk-burning drive in order to burn dvds (i.e., nothing telling me how to instruct my computer to read this Lacie drive for burning dvds, rather than the internal apple drive!). I know it's gotta be an easy switch, but I'm just not finding the instructions. Thanks!
  2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Mar 26, 2008
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    Normally when you insert a blank CD or DVD into a drive, it will show up in finder as a device. You merely need to copy/paste a file to the drive then click on the icon that looks like a radiation warning (if I recall it right) and then it should come up with a burn option.