How do I tell whether an iMac has a good screen?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by J@ffa, Oct 31, 2007.

1. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

Does anyone know if this has been fixed yet, and if so, whether I can tell from the serial number (checking the week of manufacture or somesuch) if it's going to be gradient/unevenness free?

2. pechspilz macrumors newbie

You have to test the display with your own eyes as it's not related to the production week so far! It eventually will tied to a serial number once Apple decides to fix the problem. I've seen models produced 3 weeks ago still having the problem (20" and 24").
    I'm using the test images from this website: http://www.zac.ch/wiki/imac:display

3. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

It's not a manufacturing problem, it's just that Apple have stuck some cheap screens in the new iMacs.

You're going to get batches of better or worse screens, but they're all pretty much of a muchness.

4. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

All serial numbers that divide evenly by 11 and made on the third Thursday of the month are good.

5. Kuska macrumors regular

Kuska

OK, best way I've discovered to tell is to set to the Grey background.

Position your pointer at one point of the screen - click and drag a rectangle or letterbox shaped box, - you'll soon see if you have a gradient issue - just look left to right or up and down. To be clear the issue is noticeable inside the box you've just dragged.

6. ThomasSoundD macrumors newbie

correct

7. gorby macrumors 6502

I just tried the test with my Dell LCD, and it's dead even on both sides. Gosh, this has been a beautiful monitor, I swear. Nice, crisp, never had a dead/stuck pixel, very even.

All this despite the fact that it's pretty old (it's not even 'widescreen')

My iMac display better be as good if not better (24" WHITE iMac---- landing on my doorstep tomorrow! *gulp*)