How do I test my iMac hard drive for damage?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by thomas223, Oct 28, 2014.

1. thomas223 macrumors member

Hi,

I have a 2012 27 inch iMac with a fusion drive. I always keep it stationary when in use. But yesterday a family member bumped it whilst it was on. The display section of the iMac pivoted along its hinge to the maximum it can rotate forward and then shook a bit from the impact.

How do I go about testing that hard drive for damage? I know I can use the disk diagnostics tool to do a quick check but that doesn't test if there was any surface damage to the hard disk's surface. What would you recommend?

Thanks for the help!

2. thomas223 thread starter macrumors member

Also, what are the chances of the hard drive actually being damaged by the bump?

3. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Zero, if the machine stayed on the desk. Presumably it's working now? You would know if it were damaged...

4. thomas223 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, it stayed on the desk and the foot stand never lifted off the table, so it didn't fall over. Only the main body of the iMac swivelled around its hinge quite dramatically.

It's still working but I don't know if the movement might have caused the hard disk spindle to hit the disk platters :( I'm not sure how much force is necessary to cause the platters to get damaged. I was told that they can get damaged quite easily.

5. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

It's not damaged. Stop worrying about it.

6. thomas223 thread starter macrumors member

Haha. Ok, thanks. I'll stop worrying.

7. tillsbury macrumors 65816

To damage a modern hard disk would require an impact that would smash the screen and/or significantly dent your iMac's case.

In addition, you would be hearing screeching noises and not being able to boot your computer properly. If that's not happening, you're fine.

8. thomas223 thread starter macrumors member

That is great news, now I can stop worrying. Thanks for the advice! :)