How do I Tether xbox through Macbook?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Smileyboy, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Smileyboy macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

I currently have Netshare, which was sold in the AppStore for a few days and removed. It still works. However, it would seem that apps like PDANet and Modem would have more support, because more people have them.

Is there a tutorial that shows how to make the xBox use the Ethernet cable/connect from my Macbook or is it easier to just buy the wifi adapter for the xBox?
    thanks

2. mohicanspap macrumors regular

Just buy a wifi adapter. I think they are about 20-50 bucks but it is worth it. One less cable to worry about. I have the adapter working off my Airport Extreme and it works great never had any problems.

3. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Buy the wifi adapter. I spent hours when I got my 360 trying to share the connection through my MB - such a waste of time. Eventually you will get the 360 to get out to Live but then NAT pretty much takes over and makes it useless. Mine stayed on NAT - Strict and I never could get it to do otherwise.

Got me the wifi adapter and it was up and running like a champ in 30 seconds.

edit: another suggestion would be to get an Airport Express and use that, knowing that in the future you can still utilize it (whereas the 360 will eventually be replaced). That's my setup now some 2 years later, just run ethernet from the 360 to my AX and then it connects to my AEBS - and it's all N all the time!

4. Smileyboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

I could do that. But, I'm using my iPhone for the Internet connection.

5. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

Unless your 3g network is really quick u are going to have some serious lag. Why do you need to use your phone for your connection? surely you have internet at your house?

6. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

I wouldn't use the iPhone's 3G to play online games on your home console :p:p

7. Martin C macrumors 6502a

Martin C

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CJgrZXjY0c

8. No1451 macrumors 6502

Don't even try, the speeds may be sufficient, but the ping times are going to murder you.

9. Smileyboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

I have home internet. It is more of the type of thing I would like to try, just because. Also, I have been thinking of killing my home internet until my wife bought me a Appletv as a present. Now the Comcast cable is going bye bye.

I currently have my xBox tethered to the ethernet cable on my macbook using Comcast internet and that works great.
    I may look for a wireless adapter if I can find one for cheap.
    thanks for the tips though.

I'll post back with results if and when I get some.

10. No1451 macrumors 6502

Generally you won't because MS never seems to let their product prices become lax, but you can pick one up for about $75 CDN, and atm I have no idea how your dollar corresponds.

11. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Bingo. TBH, it's probably a waste of time. You'll be lucky to get a ping time < 150ms.

12. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

Thats what i meant in my last post but just didn't say it right.

13. MacBook.Matt macrumors regular

sorry not meaning to resurrect this thread but thought it better than to start my own.

I've connected to live through ethernet to my macbook but the NAT still screws me over!

Any fix for the automatic "Strict" NAT settings that are a result of this method?

Thanks!