How do I throttle back Perl or the CPU?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pubwvj, Jun 12, 2010.

1. pubwvj macrumors 68000

pubwvj

My Mac is having some overheating issues. It is old but I'm not replacing it yet so I have to make do. This is a PowerBook G4 Aluminum 15.2" 1.67GHz running MacOSX10.4.11 Tiger. I have it up on an external fan to chill it. That helps a lot. If I keep the processor activity under about 60% then it is fine. Above that even with the fan on it quickly hits 163°F on the Processor Bottomside and crashes.

The question of the day is how can I throttle back the machine? Is there a utility out there that will let me set a maximum CPU usage? I want my machine to run slower... Rather unusual request there I realize. :)

Specifically there is a Perl script for Deja Vu which is a backup utility which runs the machine too hot every time. So if there isn't a way to achieve overall throttling of the machine how about throttling Perl?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. If you want to suggest I buy a new machine then please send a donation with the suggestion. I'm working with in the realities of my budget.

2. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

There must be a way to set a lower priority on the process, but I guess even by doing this, it would run at 100%, as long as other processes don't need more.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You potentially could make use of the nice command to give the process a lower priority. I don't know how helpful it'll be in this instance, but was the first thing that came to mind.

4. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

use 'ps aux | grep perl' to get the PID
    then 'renice 19 <PID>' to reduce its priority

(as root or with sudo)