How do I totally wipe my Macbook?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ButchVA, Jan 20, 2012.

1. ButchVA macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook I want to sell. I've restarted from the CD and totally wiped the HD, I've reinstalled the OS (10.6.8), and it still has my user account on it. There seems to be no way to remove all users and just have it reset to factory specs. I've found all kinds of refs to ways to do it in older versions of the OS, but they don't apply in 10.6.8 apparently.

Appreciate the help. Kind of in a rush to get this done before I leave for overseas.

Tks!

2. simsaladimbamba

You have to CLEAN INSTALL Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, and maybe select one if its SECURE ERASE options in DISK UTILITY.

To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (the 29 USD Upgrade DVD is a fully working retail version of Mac OS X and does not need a prior installation of Mac OS X on the Mac), follow one of the following guides:
    Short version: Clean Install of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
    Long version: Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard: How to Erase and Install

Links to guides on how to use Disk Utility, the application Mac OS X provides for managing internal and external HDD/SSDs and its formats.

Mac 101: Preparing your old Mac for sale or recycling

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads:
    [​IMG]

3. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Did you re-partition the drive prior to reloading the OS?

If not - boot from the install dvd, step through the first screen or 2 until "Utilities" shows up on the top menu bar. Select Disk Utility, then partition the drive to a full disk partition, then install the OS.

At least I think that's the correct method.