Resolved How do I touch-up a blemish on my Aluminum PowerBook G4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by PowerMac G4 MDD, Dec 18, 2014.

1. PowerMac G4 MDD, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014

PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Hey everyone,

so I bought this 15" 2004 PowerBook G4 (1.5Ghz/2GB RAM) a couple years ago, and I am finally addressing this issue with it...

I guess the previous owner wore a metal wristwatch whilst he typed on the laptop, as there is a worn, scratched-up spot on the left palm-rest. It seems like the anodized aluminum finish is worn down to the bare metal.

What could be the best way to touch this up? I figure silver spray paint would be a horrible idea, and would like to know if there are any other paint solutions for this. I was thinking I could cover it with a sticker, but it's not quite in the center of the palm-rest (more-so on the bottom left), so that would look weird. Also, I feel that the sticker would crumple up in the center, where it cannot stick to the also-lumpy surface. Besides, I don't necessarily like sticking stickers on my laptops!

I have attached a picture of the damage... it may look worse from this angle than it really is, but it's definitely noticeable, able to be felt, and pretty ugly.

Any suggestions for this?

-Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Ya once you lose that finish, its gone. Best thing to do if it really bugs you is replace the top case.

4. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Wow, that completely escaped my mind. xD I remember going on eBay and almost buying a new top case. I suppose I shall just do that. DUH!