How do I transfer 1 Time Machine backup to another external, that has TM backups?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SamIchi, May 8, 2008.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

So I started using TM with 1 external, I got a bigger one, and now I'm using that one. I decided I'm goin to sell my lower capacity one. I've been trying to move the old back up to the new HD but it won't go. I've changed the permissions (I think that's the right term) to read & write, but it still can't be moved.

It prepares to copy then I get a error message.

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

What does the error message say?

How are you trying to move it? Explain your moving process listing the details such as the exact folder name etc.

Also, if you don't need to keep your old backups, why not just start fresh with the new drive?

3. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I was thinking of just deleting it, but there's always something in my head that makes me want to keep everything.

I'm just trying to drag and drop from one external to another. I'm taking the dated backup folder, it's name of the date it was backed up, taking that and dragging it to the external. I drag it over, it "prepares to copy" then after that it gives me the error..

Update, I tried again today, and it seems to be working.

So this leads me to another question. If I place my old backup (that I just transfered) into the existing backups folder, will TM know it was a previous backup from another HDD? It's been the same computer.

When TM backs up each time it already know what has been backed up so if I take this old one and place it in the backups folder will it recognize the same applications and not take up more room on my drive? I'm thinking no, but I dont' know how TM works.

4. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

I've never tried this, but there have been several threads and a whole bunch of posts on the forum about it since Time Machine came out. As far as I remember the general consensus is that it is basically impossible.

I tried it only in the sense that I had Time Machine running on my old G4 before I got the newer Mac Pro recently. When I tried the same trick it just refused to see the back up at all. It *was* a different machine of course, but the data was all the same. Didn't work though. :(

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

The answer depends on the details of how you did this. But it CAN work the way you want.

I had a 320GB drive I was using for TM. Then I bought a 750G drive. What I did was basically "clone" the old TM dive onto the new drive. I copied the root foldr from the 320 to the 750 and then told TM to use the 750. I continue to use the 320 for manual backups

Tm is not a secure backup system if it is all you have. In addition you need an off-site backup just incase of fire, Earthquake r threft of your equipment, so don' sell the old drive. Keep it as a second backup.

6. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Because you are taking the "dated folder" this is why you are running into errors. Each dated folder contain new files and files that have been changed as well as symbolic links to the previous backups and initial backup.

If you try to copy just the dated folder, you are breaking the symbolic links and that will cause TM to go into a frenzy.