Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kraut55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
10.10.3, iMac 27, external SSD

I had added an external SSD to my iMac to speed up things a little bit. Yosemite is on the SSD which is contained in an Inateck housing. I would like to transfer everything from this SSD to a larger SSD without having to install everything again. I cannot connect both SSD at the same time as I have only 1 housing. Is there any solution how to do it?
Thanks.

kraut55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Sounds good Wojtek. I remember there was something about UASP when I bought the housing. Would a USB/SATA work with the SSD?

Edited: corrected UASP

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I have one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/UCtech-Conver...2&keywords=uctech+sata+hard+drive+adapter+usb

Seems to work well with 2.5" and 3.5" drives.

Having a spare USB3 enclosure, dock or adapter dongle will make this job MUCH easier, and it will remain a useful piece of hardware to keep around.

I would STRONGLY SUGGEST that you use CarbonCopyCloner to "clone over" the contents of one drive to the other.
CCC is especially useful because it can clone the recovery partition along with the main partition.

CCC is FREE to download, and you can use it FREE for 30 days (if you don't already have it).

kraut55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
I have one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/UCtech-Conver...2&keywords=uctech+sata+hard+drive+adapter+usb

Seems to work well with 2.5" and 3.5" drives.

Having a spare USB3 enclosure, dock or adapter dongle will make this job MUCH easier, and it will remain a useful piece of hardware to keep around.

I would STRONGLY SUGGEST that you use CarbonCopyCloner to "clone over" the contents of one drive to the other.
CCC is especially useful because it can clone the recovery partition along with the main partition.

CCC is FREE to download, and you can use it FREE for 30 days (if you don't already have it).

After I thought about it I had decided to buy another Inathek (refurbished FEU3NS-1E) housing which was even cheaper than other solutions. You are right, it is always good to have a spare one.

Reactions: hwojtek
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.