How do I transfer all settings from Windows to my new MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by DougFNJ, Feb 28, 2011.

1. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Before anyone kills me with search button lectures, I have been looking, seeking, searching, and trying to find this specific information.

I got a new MacBook Pro last week. I am converting from a Windows 7 Laptop. I transferred the files I needed to an external hard drive and over to the MacBook Pro including my entire music collection. I don't care about how many times tracks have been played, nor do I rate my collections, that's not a big deal.

I transferred the library into iTunes, I plugged the iPhone 4 hoping to transfer settings from the iPhone to the MacBook, but iTunes wants to delete all contents.

From the searching I have seen, it appears I may have to delete the library from my MacBook, and redo it again using backup settings through iTunes.

What has not been made clear in any of my searches is if this also moves the settings of the iPhone and iPad. I like my setup including icon locations, folders, apps, I don't want to start all over again if I don't have to. I would also like to avoid having to transfer my library over to the iPhone 4 as I have the files downsized to 128 Kbps and this process can take over 12 hours to do as I make good use of the space with plenty of music.

Once I get this all done, I could finally restore the Windows Laptop so I could sell it on Ebay, any help would be greatly appreciated, preferably without 3rd party software.

Thank you for any help :)

2. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

I had a similar problem, my HD broke and all I did was lode everything back on my iTunes, And sign in. After all you have to do is have the media that are was on your previous itunes library in your new library. Do not let it sync if it asks to erase and sync say no, it will still be recognized by iTunes but not synced. In the colum to the left right click on your devise and select back up. It will back up and then sync it. You should be fine. I'm not 100% sure so I would search a little or wait for someone to confirm.

3. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

DO NOT SYNC YET!
    Do you have photos in your camera roll?
    When you transferred your library, did you transfer your apps?

4. DougFNJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Not syncing until I am 100% certain that the settings will transfer.

I do have photos in my camera roll, and my Apps were not transferred.

I also have not restored my Windows laptop yet until my settings are officially transferred to the MacBook

5. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

You can only sync your iPhone with one computer at a time. If u plug it into your mac and in iTunes "right click" on the left where it says your phones name and select backup. This will backup your settings and game progress, folders etc...you will have to wipe the music off and re sync with the macs iTunes but in the end it will be worth it. Also, "right click" as above gives you other options, like transfer purchases...ie...apps (as u say u have your music) to the mac to save you transferring them yourself from a hard drive. As long as the apps are on the mac, it will not erase them from your phone when u sync.
    Once you re sync your music u can ditch the windows finally!

6. JamesMB, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Good thing that you didn't sync, you would have wiped your camera roll and apps.
    Lets get the photos first, and then we will deal with the apps, and app data.

1) Connect your phone to your Mac. IF iTunes opens, close it!
    2) If you have photos in the camera roll on your phone, iPhoto should recognize your phone as a camera and open with the option to transfer your photos to your Mac.
    3) Click on the import all tab in upper right corner, or just select the ones that you want and import those,
    4) After the photos have downloaded to your computer, you can separate them into Albums, witch can then be selected in iTunes and later synced back to your phone.

Check iPhoto, to make sure that the photos downloaded, before deleting from your phone.

Post back when you have the photos on the PC.

7. DougFNJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Thanks guys.....I take it I can do the same backup with my iPad?

Augh, no way to avoid having to sync the music over too, like mirroring the iTunes setup on Windows over to the Mac? :confused:

I wouldn't mind so much, but that music sync takes 14 hours with over 4300 songs being transferred and down converted :( At least it did on Windows, I am guessing it would be processing the music the same way and not be so speedy....

8. DougFNJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Thank you so much for this, I will do it tonight and post as soon as it's done....

9. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

on a mac the transfer is generally quicker than most windows i ve seen. I forgot to say, when u back up your iphone on the mac (b4 syncing) (right click on iphone name in itunes) it will backup all your camera app photos too.

10. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

This is such a roundabout way of doing this simple job. Right click in itunes and let it do the work!

11. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

There is a very simple way to move everything from the PC to the Mac, but since I don't know where you are in the process, I chose to do it a step at a time. If you ever have to do it again.
    http://lifehacker.com/#!242468/geek-to-live--how-to-move-an-itunes-library-from-a-pc-to-mac-and-back

12. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Doug, make sure auto sync is not enabled in iTunes before connecting iPhone. A backup made on the new macbook by iTunes will back up.........app data, camera roll photos, texts, call history, settings,,,,,etc.......

Just to clarify, one can backup and tranfers purchases in iTunes with actually syncing the phone,,,,,,,but you will have to after to get music on anyway.

13. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Itunes will not remove the photos from the camera roll.
    If we need any help, I'll be sure and let you know.

14. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

It will save the camera photos....ie.....taken with the iphone camera in the backup made.....fact.

15. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

I really dislike your tone in the statement above,,,,,,this is a forum,,,people comment,,,,,,and help,,,,,,,if u want one on one session, get a room!

A little manners carries a long way.....at least this side of the Atlantic.

16. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Simply export your playlist(s) from windows itunes and save to a usb,,,they will be stored as small xml files. Then plug the usb into mac, open itunes and from FILE, import playlist.......select files you want to replicate and they will then appear in itunes......saves you having to remake all your playlists....

OR, just buy a usb to usb and use Migration Assistant!:rolleyes:

17. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Yes that is a fact! It will save them in the backup.

18. DougFNJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Ok, here's what happened. I first plugged it into the PC and backed up those camera roll photos so no matter what I had them. I plugged the iPhone into the Mac, iPhoto opened and saved the photos automatically. I then opened iTunes, right clicked and as you guys said, it allowed me to transfer purchases and back up. It never forced me to sync the music over which I was happy about, it allows me to decide when I want to do the sync. Same thing went for the iPad.

Thanks for the help.

19. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

OK, Since you have, imported your photos, transferred your purchases, and backed up, you should be ready to sync. There are a couple of things that you can do, before the initial sync, to make things a little easier, but not absolutely necessary.

Connect your phone to iTunes, select your phone in the left pane, select the apps tab for your phone, and rearrange your apps to match your phone, before the first sync. This will allow you to retain your app folders, and app positions.

Another thing that you can do is open iPhoto, arrange/organize the imported photos in albums, which can be selected in iTunes and synced back to your phone, in nice, neat folder/album order.

You can also delete the photos in your camera roll, as you no longer need them, and to many photos in the camera roll has been known to cause problems anyway.

Before your first sync, it is a good idea to review all your selections in iTunes, especially the info and summary tab, so that nothing unexpected happens.

20. DougFNJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Thank you all for the help everyone. Not as painful as I made it out to be in my head lol Thankfully this should be the last time I have to go through all of this as I have no intentions of going back from Mac :p

I'll be doing the full sync this week, and will update everyone with how it turned out, hopefully this thread could serve as a good resource for others looking.

Now to restore the Windows Laptop and hopefully ship soon, man those suckers decrease in value QUICKLY :(