How do I transfer between my Mac and PC?

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
I need to transfer many Gigabytes of information from my BootCamp'd, Windows 7-running iMac to my Macbook. Running files is not a problem, I just need to transfer them from one hard drive to the next.

I feel this should be a very simple process that can be achieved with just an ethernet cable... much like how I used an ethernet cable during migration assistant.

So how do I transfer files from a Windows 7 OS computer to a Mac Snow Leopard OS computer?

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
I wonder this too...but I would go the old route...transfer from Win7->External HD->Mac.
That's essentially what I'm trying now... except the closest thing to an external HD that I have is a 2GB USB stick.

Did I mention I had to transfer about 240 GB of files and some of them are more than 2 GB in size individually? :/

blastoboy1000

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2011
You could always connect to the ftp server built into Mac OS (enabled via the Sharing Pref Pane, i believe), or you could connect to your Windows computer over Samba. To connect to it via SMB, go to Finder, Go -> Connect to Server (Cmd+K), and type in smb://192.168.###.###

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Firstly, I also vote for the external drive.

Secondly, you MUST have an external drive anyways for backup purpuses.

So get one imeadiatly, I recomned WD My Passport or G-Techonly Firewire drives, they are silent and fast.

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
So how do I transfer files from a Windows 7 OS computer to a Mac Snow Leopard OS computer?
There are a whole bunch of potential ways.

As someone already pointed out if you want to just do it over ethernet you can use ftp or samba.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.