How do I transfer between my Mac and PC?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by bungiefan89, Nov 27, 2011.

1. bungiefan89 macrumors 6502a

I need to transfer many Gigabytes of information from my BootCamp'd, Windows 7-running iMac to my Macbook. Running files is not a problem, I just need to transfer them from one hard drive to the next.

I feel this should be a very simple process that can be achieved with just an ethernet cable... much like how I used an ethernet cable during migration assistant.

So how do I transfer files from a Windows 7 OS computer to a Mac Snow Leopard OS computer?

2. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I wonder this too...but I would go the old route...transfer from Win7->External HD->Mac.

3. bungiefan89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's essentially what I'm trying now... except the closest thing to an external HD that I have is a 2GB USB stick.

Did I mention I had to transfer about 240 GB of files and some of them are more than 2 GB in size individually? :/

4. blastoboy1000 macrumors newbie

You could always connect to the ftp server built into Mac OS (enabled via the Sharing Pref Pane, i believe), or you could connect to your Windows computer over Samba. To connect to it via SMB, go to Finder, Go -> Connect to Server (Cmd+K), and type in smb://192.168.###.###

5. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Firstly, I also vote for the external drive.

Secondly, you MUST have an external drive anyways for backup purpuses.

So get one imeadiatly, I recomned WD My Passport or G-Techonly Firewire drives, they are silent and fast.

6. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

There are a whole bunch of potential ways.

As someone already pointed out if you want to just do it over ethernet you can use ftp or samba.