How do I transfer contacts from my old iPhone without restoring from backup?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CJayC, Jun 24, 2010.

1. CJayC macrumors 6502

The backup of my iPhone 3G has a plethora of partitions filled with errors from jailbreaking and I don't want that on my iPhone 4.

In addition to contacts, I need my calendar and mail and photos, if possible.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

3. CJayC thread starter macrumors 6502

4. myfoneisdank macrumors regular

ive been trying to ask the same question to no avail. on a pc, if my contacts are stored in windows contacts...will they sync if i set up as new phone?

5. ArcAngel66 macrumors regular

When your old iPhone is plugged in go to it in iTunes. On the top you'll see some tabs like "Music", "Movies" etc...

Click on "Info", and then on that page you'll see an option to "Sync with Windows Contacts"... enable that. Finally hit apply/sync and you're good to go.

Now with your iPhone 4 go to that same "Info" tab and tell it to sync with your Windows Contacts as well and thats it.

I had always thought doing this would erase my phone's contacts and **** me over... when in fact it just makes sure the two are in sync with each other.

6. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

Yes.

7. syrinxStarman macrumors member

I believe it will only sync with Outlook, unless things have changed since I last checked. What you can do is use a Gmail account and sync Contacts from your phone to Gmail. Once you restore, sync them back OTA via Gmail.

8. CSpackler macrumors regular

CSpackler

When you back up/sync your old iPhone for the last time, make sure to sync contacts to Windows Address book (under the "Info" tab). You can also sync your internet bookmarks to IE (or Safari) and notes/calendar to Outlook (if you have Office). Then set up your iPhone as "new" and proceed to re-sync everything back in. Everything will be there (contacts, calendars, etc) but your phone will be new.

9. forample macrumors newbie

How do I copy my contacts on my iPhone 5 to my pc? I had to restore it but when I restored it, the last backup was august.

10. sunking101 macrumors 604

sunking101

Just turn contacts on in iCloud, but nothing else. Your contacts will synch over then and you aren't technically restoring any back-ups.

11. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

There is an even easier way! Log into icloud, highlight all contacts and choose export to vcf. Then save that file and email to an account you later sync to your new iPhone then simply open the attachment and at the prompt import the contacts!

12. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

This. The emailing and importing are unnecessary for a new iPhone if you set it to sync iCloud contacts though.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Set up a new iCloud or Gmail account and sync to those.

Then sign into the new phone and it should all be there.

When you delete the account from the phone, it should give you the option to keep all the contacts.

Then you can delete said iCloud or Gmail account. The Gmail account is easier to cancel.