Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrwonkers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
Cyberia
A few weeks ago I finished resetting up Garageband and all jam packs + xtra plug ins on my old Powermac. After using it 4 a bit I realised it was not fast enough on the G5 to do what I needed, so I purchased a new 27" i5 iMac.
On the iMac the DVD drive does scratch discs :mad: so I need to be able to transfer all required files from the G5 to the iMac. Can anyone tell me what files/folders I need to copy over to allow Garageband to function on the iMac? I really do not want to have to buy an external usb dvd drive and reload everything as presently this is my only option.

mrwonkers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
Cyberia
send the iMac back to apple for repair of the DVD drive.

Other than the dvd drive issues the machine is perfect. Luckily the iMac does not suffer from any of the issues discussed at length in Mac forums worldwide. No yellowing of the display, and no dead pixels, popping sounds or flickering image problems to date. Replacing the dvd drive requires a "technician" to perform major surgery on this brand new machine. I live 150kms from my nearest service centre, apart from the long drive I have little confidence in the tech support offered. I need a solution to my present issue. I know the drive can be replaced under warranty thats not what I asked.

mrwonkers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
Cyberia
Don't think there's any easy way to move the program since it's all integrated with iLife and all, but the instruments/jampack loops definately can be moved.

I can't find the tutorial I used when I transferred the loops off my dead hackintosh when I bought my macbook, but a quick google showed:

http://www.whatwethink.com/2007/03/...s-instruments-and-settings-to-a-new-computer/

--rob

Thanks Rob thats exactly what I was after, I googled 2 but didn't come across that one. :D

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
By the way, if I was in your situation where I didn't want to have the computer worked on, I would either figure out how to replace the drive myself or get an external DVD (USB/Firewire) drive. A computer needs an optical drive. If your drive can't be counted on, you should probably figure out how to work around it.

mrwonkers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
Cyberia
By the way, if I was in your situation where I didn't want to have the computer worked on, I would either figure out how to replace the drive myself or get an external DVD (USB/Firewire) drive. A computer needs an optical drive. If your drive can't be counted on, you should probably figure out how to work around it.

I was trying to avoid purchasing an external drive for as long as possible, I've just done my budget on the iMac. I really do not think vertically mounted optical drives are ideal so I knew at some point I'd be springing 4 an external burner, just looks as though it will b sooner rather than later. I tried the above solution but it did not work :rolleyes: it may be correct 4 earlier versions of Garageband just not it's current incarnation. I'll give dvd sharing a go from old trusty Powermac if that fails I'll stop being a cheap bastard and go grab that external burner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.