How do i transfer music from PC to Ibook?

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
1,518
0
How do i transfer the music from my PeeCee to my ibook? The music on my pc is not in itunes, i dont know if that makes a difference. Do i have to put all my music on the pc into itunes for windows?
 

Applespider

macrumors G4
What format is the music in? If it's in wma, you'll need to convert it first to an MP3 or AAC (you can do this in iTunes). If it's MP3s, then you can just transfer them over without first putting them into iTunes on the PC

How much music are you talking about? If it's not too much, just burn a few data CDs and then drag them into iTunes on the Mac. If it's a lot, you might want to try creating a small network and transferring them over that way.
 

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
1,518
0
Applespider said:
What format is the music in? If it's in wma, you'll need to convert it first to an MP3 or AAC (you can do this in iTunes). If it's MP3s, then you can just transfer them over without first putting them into iTunes on the PC

How much music are you talking about? If it's not too much, just burn a few data CDs and then drag them into iTunes on the Mac. If it's a lot, you might want to try creating a small network and transferring them over that way.
About 3000 songs. I have no idea how to set up a network. Oh and i think they are all mp3's.
 

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
1,518
0
Applespider said:
Does your PC have either an Ethernet port, a FW port or a wireless card? If a wifi card, does your Mac have wifi too?
My ibook has airport extreme. My pc has an ethernet port but its connected to the cable modem right now. It also has usb but no wireless card. It does have fire wire but i dont know if its 800 or 400 and i know my ibook only has 400.
 

Applespider

macrumors G4
Easiest thing to do is probably get a crossover Ethernet cable and, unplugging your cable modem, link the PC and Mac together with it - there are lots of threads here about networking the PC/Mac like this.

Then you should be able to just transfer the files from one HD to the other. Alternatively, if you have an external HD handy, you could send the files via FW to it and then pick them back up on the Mac.

Here's a step-by-step that you may find useful
Transferring files from PC to Mac
 

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
1,138
0
BXL
once you get both computers connected on ethernet (wireless or not) you can also check edesigns sticky network post here

Cheers, Good luck
 

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
1,518
0
Man that all looks really complicated. Maybe ill just burn the songs i really want onto disks. Then just load them up and copy them from cd's onto the ibook.
 

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
1,138
0
BXL
:eek: ;)
just give it a try, you'll see it's not that complicated.

share the folders on your windows machine and go to the 'network' on your mac. It'll be a few klicks away.

Don't go wasting CD's :p ;)
 

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
1,518
0
redeye_be said:
:eek: ;)
just give it a try, you'll see it's not that complicated.

share the folders on your windows machine and go to the 'network' on your mac. It'll be a few klicks away.

Don't go wasting CD's :p ;)
Yea your right. Im gonna try and figure it out.
 

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
1,065
0
Dallas
I just transfered 8 GB of MP3s and AAC files from my PB to my PC using a firewire cable. I enabled Windows filesharing on my Mac and enabled the IEEE1394 networking on the Mac and walla! ;)
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
Are the XML files created on the PC able to be read on the Mac? That is, are they transferable?
 

qzak

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
251
0
ftp

hopefully my new powerbook is comin in tomorrow, and i plan on just settin up a ftp on my pc, and just downloading what i want onto my powerbook wirelessly. sounds alot simplier than some of the other stuff people have said, but dunno if u've ran a ftp before.
 

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
1,509
0
WMA

I am not sure if iTunes can convert WMA to MP3. I don't thing that it can?

But there is a freeware program that can batch process all your WMA to MP3.

It's call EasyWMA. You can find it at MacUpdate.com

I used it last week and it works great, but it won't work with WMA with DRM.

A+ app

Good Luck

PS

What is the easiest way to convert .ogg to MP3 or ACC?
 

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
1,065
0
Dallas
Lacero said:
Are the XML files created on the PC able to be read on the Mac? That is, are they transferable?
I wasn't able to transfer the XML files between them and have the PC read them. :( I tried and tried. I was happy enough just to transfer the music over.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.