How do I transfer my e-commerce website to another host

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by allysonjames, Jan 20, 2011.

1. allysonjames macrumors newbie

I signed up for a e-commerce website with Vistaprint about 4 months ago and have spent most of that time uploading products and fine tuning the site. I've since discovered that Go Daddy has better options for what I need. I'd like to change but I don't want to loose months of hard work. Is it possible to transfer a website and domain name to another host without loosing your actual website? If so, how do you do it? I am a creative person but pretty much computer illiterate so please keep that in mind when answering. LOL! I'd appreciate any help or advice, thank you!!!

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

You'll have to send an email to their support department and ask them for a copy of your files and and a database dump. But they might not allow it.

This is the number one reason you should never ever sign up for a hosted solution without access to the files and the database because they can effectively hold your website hostage.

But lets see what their support department say first.

3. allysonjames thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You!

Thank You! My 16 year old son was trying to help me but he couldn't find the code to transfer my site, now I know why. I will ask Vistaprint for the files and hope for the best. I had no idea a host could do that, I wish I had. Now I do though, thank you!

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Alas, the internet is just like the real world. Some people are just wankers.