How do I transfer my itunes library to imac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FloridaMac, Dec 17, 2008.

1. FloridaMac macrumors regular

I'm sure it's very easy but how do I transfer my itunes library in my old ibook G4 to my new imac? I have Time Capsule as my router/hard drive. Thanks.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Just copy the iTunes directory from your Music folder onto the Time Capsule, then from there into the same location on the new computer. Done!

3. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Use migration assistant. Or just drag and drop your entire iTunes folder (username/music/iTunes) from one computer to the other.

4. FloridaMac thread starter macrumors regular

Do I have to have a cable connecting the two computers first?

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

You can transfer data/folders through FireWire target disk mode or over the network with a wired/wireless connection. You'd want to connect both computers with a FireWire cable and start up the iBook with the 'T' key held down. The iBook's hard drive will then appear on the desktop of the iMac and you can access all of the folders within it. Alternatively enable file sharing in System Preferences on the iBook, make sure both computers are on the same network, and view your local computer network from the iMac. If the iBook is visible, open it up and connect as a registered user using the name/password used to secure the iBook and drag the files over through that.

P.S. On second thought if you have iTunes 7 or later you can backup your library to multiple cds/dvds and when you insert it into the iMac it'll ask to bring that data into iTunes.

6. FloridaMac thread starter macrumors regular

And how would I do this? Thanks.

7. JediMeister macrumors 68040