How do I transfer my iTunes library to stream from an external HDD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Apple!Fre@k, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Apple!Fre@k macrumors 6502a

My iTunes library is nearly 100GB and it's taking up nearly half of my entire internal hard drive so it's time to stick it on an external HDD. I've got the drive all ready, I'm just not sure how to make it happen. I know I go into the Preferences, then Advanced and change the iTunes Folder Location to the external HDD, but what are all the steps after and in-between?

Don't I still need to delete the current folder on my system after it transfers? Do I have to reimport everything after it transfers to the HDD? If someone could walk me through it, I'd really appreciate it.

I remember doing this a couple years ago and decided to go back to the internal drive because I did something wrong, had to reimport all the songs, and lost a few in the process. I also believe it started asking me to authenticate every single song I wanted to play.

How can I avoid all of these mishaps?

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Simply move the entire library to the new location then hold down Alternate when opening iTunes and click 'choose Library'. Navigate to the new location and click choose. Thats it.

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I don't know why Apple promote this way of doing it?! It's so long winded and has potential to cause more problems than just moving the folder and telling iTunes where its gone.

Why do you need to create a new folder, merge it with your library then tell itunes where this merged folder is? Its adding extra steps that don't need to be there. :confused:

4. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Quit iTunes.

Move the "iTunes" folder to a place on the External HDD.

hold "Option" and launch iTunes.

Select "choose existing library"

point it to the library file that is now on the external HDD.

Done.

5. sal macrumors 6502

best answer so far.

Assuming, you let itunes organize the files for you and everything is located in the itunes folder. If it isn't, you would need to consolidate library first.

6. Apple!Fre@k thread starter macrumors 6502a

What about my playlists? Will everything stay intact?

7. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Yes. The entire library is in the "iTunes" folder located in your "Music" folder.

Simply move it to the external HDD, and point iTunes to it

HDD/users/yourname/Music/iTunes - This directory contains:

-Album Artwork (Folder)
    -iTunes Library (Library File)
    -iTunes Library Extras.itdb (some database file)
    -iTunes Library Genius.itbd (Genius database file)
    -iTunes Music (Folder containing all Music)
    -iTunes Music Library.xml (another iTunes library file)
    -Mobile Applications (folder)
    -Temp File.tmp (temporary file, not important but take it anyway)

That is your Entire iTunes Library, songs, artwork, playlists, ratings -- everything.

If you ever want to back it all up to CD/DVD, click the link in my signature below. You will find a link to another thread where I explain how to manually back it all up, not just your music -- your entire library.

8. Apple!Fre@k thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, but if it is on an external HDD, wouldn't it all be backed up already?

9. Apple!Fre@k thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hurray! It worked flawlessly! Thanks, guys!

10. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Not if the ONLY copy is on the External. How is that any different then the ONLY copy being on the Internal?

HDDs fail in time, some sooner than others. There is also the possibility of data corruption from some unforeseen cause, or even complete deletion of everything by accident.

Poo Happens. Be Prepared.

11. DianeS macrumors newbie

Seeking help

Sorry to redirect this topic, but this is my first post and I need assistance. How do I create a new topic question? Thanks. Diane

12. Apple!Fre@k thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I've got a bootable backup that updates every week on a different (and larger) external HDD, but that only copies my internal drive. I imagine on the next update, it will no longer include my iTunes folder since it's on an external HDD. Is there any way to tell Super Duper to include the external iTunes folder when creating my bootable backup?

13. Apple!Fre@k thread starter macrumors 6502a

At the top of each discussion form, there is a button that says "New Thread." Click on that.

14. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I actually did this and moved it to a server. Very easy and clean to do.

15. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Good that you have it backed up. I have no experience with Super Duper, so I don't know if it can include the folder on the external drive

Hopefully someone here will know.