How do I transfer my "Photo Library" to my Mac?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by duggram, Feb 15, 2009.

1. duggram macrumors 6502

duggram

When I try to create a new album on my iphone, itunes tells me that all my existing albums will be deleted. How do I save my Photo Library so I won't loose it?

I'm trying to organize my iphone photos. There are two albums on the phone now. Camera Roll and Photo Library. The only album that shows up in Itunes is Camera Roll. So how do I back up my Photo Library so that I won't loose all my current pics, which are not already on my mac?

2. Acronym macrumors 68000

behold the power of ssh search on youtube on how to SSH into your iphone (or look at my custom SMS guide which covers SSH'ing into your iphone and then find the directory in which the photos are saved copy them over and then you can sync new ones over to your iphone.

3. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

How are you creating albums on the iPhone, My understanding was that Camera Roll is pictures taken on the iPhone, any other albums are ones that have been synced from iTunes

Once you have transfered whats in the camera roll you sort it into folders on the computer and then sync these to the iPhone

I might be missing it but I see no way to create new albums on the phone

4. duggram thread starter macrumors 6502

duggram

Acronym, nice guide but my phone is not jailbroke. The youtube I found said in the opening that the phone needs to be jailbroke to do SSH. Any other suggestions or did I miss the point?

Paul, I created the new album in itunes on my mac. I get the warning when I try to sync the new album. If I could download the photos from Photo Library to my mac then I could add them to the new album and I wouldn't lose them.

So my question is how do you download from the phone's Photo Library to the mac?

5. Anomalus macrumors newbie

Anomalus

I have the exact same problem, i want to download my Photo Library to my Mac and so far i haven't found a single answer.

6. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

welcome to the complete lack of control you get with native apple products!

7. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

iPhoto.

8. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Yep. Plug in iPhone, launch iPhoto and your phone should show up like a camera. It'll ask you if you want to import etc etc

Just treat it like a camera.

9. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

You can only transfer Camera Roll photos to the computer. The Photo Library photos should have been transfered from the computer to the phone. Why aren't they still on your computer?

The only way to get them off, without jailbreaking, is to download a program that lets you pull stuff off the phone. These usually cost $20-30. I've never used one, so I wouldn't know what one to suggest. But here is an example: http://www.ipodrobot.com/ You can find a bunch of different ones. Also realize that these photos have been optimized for the iphone and they might not be in full resolution when you get them back.

10. duggram thread starter macrumors 6502

duggram

11. johnnyxhuynh macrumors regular

johnnyxhuynh

Do you sync your iPhone photos using iTunes and iPhoto?

12. Cliveypoos macrumors newbie

Transfer of photos from I-phone to Mac,

Having read the history. I am none the wiser. Surely someone smart at Apple can put us out of our misery. After all it was an Apple hard drive failure that caaused my problem.http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/frown.gif

13. BU1234 macrumors newbie

Same problem, my computer got wiped so I need to save them. Don't bother calling apple support, they can't do anything even if it's still under warranty

14. schwanns macrumors newbie

use iphonebrowser

install iphonebrowser
    http://code.google.com/p/iphonebrowser/wiki/Usage

connect iphone via usb
    navigate to the following path :
    var/mobile/Media/PhotoData/Sync/100SYNCD

The entire Photo Library is available here - save to PC using the iphonebrowser interface.

15. chriswayne86 macrumors newbie

i have 1,324 pictures that i took from my wife's macbook (the little white one.) Ive searched and searched for how to transfer photos from photo library to camera roll so i can import them on my macbook pro. the only way to do this without buying some bogus program is to screenshot each and every individual photo in you photo library. and there you have it. how to transfer photos from photo library to camera roll.

16. duggram thread starter macrumors 6502

duggram

If you have iPhoto just select all of your images (Ctrl-A) and do an Eport from the file menu.

17. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

Before you do anything you should use ImageCapture (built-in app for OS X) and get a copy of all the pictures from your phone to a folder on your Mac. From there, there should be no worries of losing any of your pics while you try to figure out what's going on. And I guess, that in essence, resolves your issues based on your post title.

18. Charliehn, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014

Charliehn macrumors newbie

If you are using that MacBook to backup/sync your iPhone than you can use iPhoto and iTunes on the MacBook.

In iPhoto, create an album with the photos you want. Connect the iPhone to the MacBook. In iTunes, click on the iphone icon and migrate through the settings tab to you find photo sync. Select sync only with the album you set up. Click on sync and wait till done. PhotoSync is the way to go. It was recommended to me by members of this site ages ago.