How do I Transfer only OS & Apps in an SSD Dual Drive Setup?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by A.Nifty, Jan 7, 2014.

1. A.Nifty, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014

A.Nifty macrumors newbie

Hey y'all,

Recently made the decision and took the plunge on upgrading my MBP with an SSD. I've seen plenty of resources on the Hardware Installation process and I am not worried about properly installing the hardware, I've seen a bunch of exhaustive guides out there. I am more concerned about the software side of things and making sure my data is migrated properly. I've done a few hours research already and can't seem to find answers to my exact situation so I thought I would turn to you folks.

Already have my 120GB 840 EVO ready and now just awaiting for my Data Doubler to arrive. Will be installing it in the main bay and moving my stock 500GB HHD to the optical bay. I plan to have just OS and my apps on the SSD and keep my other documents and media on the HDD.

After I complete the hardware installation, is there anyway to just transfer the OS and apps from the HDD onto the SSD and how would I go about that? It that a bad idea, will it mess up the directories on the OS? As much as possible I would really want to avoid reinstalling the OS and all my apps onto the SSD to save the time and hassle. If it makes a difference, I also have a 500GB external HD if it'll be of use.

Is there anything I am missing or are there gaps in my understanding on how to create this setup?

2. leman macrumors 604

The best way would be probably to install the OS on the SSD and then copy the apps and their preferences over (and reinstalling the more complex ones). If you attempt to copy the OS, you will most certainly mess up the links/permissions/hidden structures. Not to mention the hassle involved in making the SSD bootable. Do you really want to manually copy the boot record etc.?

3. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

You could simply clone your system to the SSD (if your current one is less than 120GB) using a Time Machine backup, Super Duper, or Carbon Copy Cloner. If not, you're probably going to have to reinstall a fresh copy of OS X to the drive and load your apps. From there, you could keep your iTunes/iPhoto/etc. libraries on the hard drive and just change to those while holding down option while those apps open.

If you want to get more advanced, you could move your entire home folder over - basically follow these steps: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57365307-263/moving-your-home-folder-in-os-x/#!

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I used CCC to copy the HDD to the SSD except not copying the user files (iTunes media, Aperture library etc).

Once cloned boot from the SSD and then repoint iTunes and Aperture to the HDD locations and all is good.

I had a bit of trouble in that Dropbox and Google Drive don't give you the opportunity of relocating their folders elsewhere so they reside on the SSD too however the limited size of those drives mean I can't fill the SSD by leaving them on it.

This all worked quite straightforwardly.