How do I transfer photos to iPhone without compression?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by moussekateer, Sep 10, 2010.

1. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

As title says really. I have a crapload of photos I want to organize into folders (Still can't believe this can't be done on the phone). The problem is when I transfer them back to the phone they're 'optimized' and a lot of them look terrible after. Why do they need to be optimized and why can't I turn off this compression?

I've done plenty of searching and I can't find a solution. I want the photos in folders in the photos app, not in a separate app. I don't want them compressed. Why is this so hard to do Apple? I have a windows computer so no Mac programs.

2. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

What resolution are the photos at before you transfer them to the phone?

When I shot professionally, I had a full portfolio of images that I kept in Photos on the phone, and compression wasn't an issue. I had resized them all manually on the PC and set the folders to sync through iTunes so they stayed in certain groups. Anything larger than the largest resolution the screen can handle will be resized automatically and "optimized".

3. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

This has been a problem for a LONG time and it's not so much that they have been compressed, it's that the algorithm they use sucks for as little compression as goes on.

4. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB, JB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Agreed, but it has been GREATLY improved with iOS4 and/or the newer versions of iTunes ... It's not really an issue anymore, is it?

5. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Don't know. I haven't tried it in a while since Apple refused to acknowledge it for years on their forums/feedback system.

6. moussekateer thread starter macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

They're iPhone camera roll photos hence I don't understand the need for this 'optimization'.

Exactly, some of my night time photos come out looking like crap after being compressed to be frank. It's bewildering that I can't turn off the damn compression. The more I think about it the more I find it astonishing that my super smartphone can't reorder photos, name them or put them in folders. All I can do on my phone is delete them. Astonishing.

7. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

This bothers me too. Even when I re-size to 640x960 and convert to PNG the files get optimized. I only convert to PNG for wallpapers but still, it's annoying that you can't transfer high resolution jpgs from your computer to the phone without additional compression.