How do I turbo-charge my iBook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by sbrigante, Jul 22, 2009.

1. sbrigante macrumors newbie

I've got a G4 12" iBook with a 10GB hard drive (2.4GB space left) and the RAM is max'd out at 1.25 GB. Is there any way I can still improve processing speed on it? I'm a teacher (Art) and I use this a lot for a still digital images and video clips. If possible, I'd like to get one more year out of the o'le gal before I upgrade.

Thanks - Scott
    :cool:

2. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

see if you van find a bigger PATA hard drive that is also faster. it should help out quite a bit

3. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

yea i recommend a faster harddrive, a more modern one should naturally be faster, plus you will get more space to work with.

Only other thing that could be a possibility is if you do a backup of all your stuff then do a fresh install of your OS and only put the programs on that you need to. It will help a bit

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Agree with putting in larger pata or ide hard drive. I think hitachi makes a 160 gig single platter hd which almost provides 7200 rpm speed.

There's a way to optimize your ibook by tweaking your os and turning off a lot of the eye candy. Google for optimizing g4 ibook/powerbook for tiger and leopard. I was able to do this with a 1.5 ghz 12" powerbook with good results.

5. sbrigante thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the Advice

Hi All,

Thanks for the good advice - I will replace the hard drive. - Scott