How do I turn a stereo track into mono?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by badlydrawnboy, May 11, 2010.

1. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

Please forgive my ignorance on this topic - I know nothing about audio editing.

I just recorded my first podcast. I used Audio Hijack Pro and Skype. I configured AHP to record the input (me) and the output (the interviewee) on separate channels in order to make editing easier.

I used Audacity to edit the file. I now have a file with a stereo track. When I listed to it with headphones, the one track plays in the left ear, and the other track plays in the right hear.

I want to make it so both tracks play in both ears. What do I do now?

2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

3. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

I tried that and it didn't work. What did work is "Tracks > Stereo to mono"

4. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Well I'm glad you got it figured out.

I could have told you how to do it in logic, but I'm not so proficient in audacity :eek:

5. eagerapple macrumors newbie

Skype + AHP

I'm doing some tests recording skype calls between myself and a co-host for a podcast. I've read through a couple of similar threads and using Skype + Audio Hijack Pro seems to be the most popular setup.

I'm going to buy a call recorder I just want to make sure I get the right one. I'm decided between Ecamm Call Recorder and Audio Hijack Pro. I'd like to go with AHP but to those who have used it: does the person on the other end have noticeably lower quality? I guess it depends on the technical setup, microphones, etc...

I just want to know: for recording Skype calls is Audio Hijack Pro the way to go?

6. Aniday macrumors regular

If you're recording your voice with your native mic and you're recording the other person through Skype... yes, you will be able to tell the difference between the quality. There's ways around it but everyone is too lazy to do the work. But sure.. use AHP... doesn't matter too much.

7. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

I did a recording where I used Skype Out to call someone on their land line, using AHP. You can tell a difference between my voice and the other person's, but the quality was very good and in fact we received several compliments on it from listeners.

8. Aniday macrumors regular

Well that's good. Thankfully Skype sends pretty good audio. The only problem is when a call drops or there's skipping or some connection error occasionally that messes up your recording. I just prefer to avoid recording Skype calls for my Podcast all together... mostly because there's too many people involved and there's always someone who has a bad connection that would ruin the recording. I also like to get the best quality I can so I use other techniques.

9. eagerapple macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies!

I should have specified that the person on the other end will also be on skype, ie, I'm not using it to call another land line but rather another skype user. don't know if that makes a difference.

that is encouraging, though, to hear that using AHP to record calls from skype to land lines sounds good!

one more thing... there's an old thread from April 2009 about someone paranoid that AHP caused damage to their system. I assume that was a mistake? just making sure.