How do i turn apps off

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jcdavies, Sep 30, 2010.

1. jcdavies macrumors member

Hi

I just got my first ipod touch having always had a classic but decided the apps were too tempting and looking for more of a multi media device.

My question is when i have finished using an app such as lets say skype how do i then close the app down as i have just been going home but i know the app is still running.

I imagine this would be a drain on battery which is why i am asking

thanks for your help

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

You do not need to close the app. It is not running in the traditional sense. It's last state is merely saved in RAM. The only reason it would be running is if it's actively taking advantage of one of Apple's background APIs, which skype wouldn't be doing unless you're actively chatting/on a call. Some apps do push notification, but that was around before multitasking.

3. jcdavies thread starter macrumors member

ok thats good to know, however i know skype is still running because i can receive calls so how do i close it down, skype is actually my main worry as i have heard this drains battery

4. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

Just double-tap the home-button and you'll see the background-apps. Now you just have to hold one of them for about 2 secs and a close (x) symbol will appear on each of the running apps.

5. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

Mostly true except Skype drains battery like crazy. If I leave it open over night my iPod will be dead and none of the other apps do that.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Not true. I leave it on 24/7, send/receive calls, send/receive messages very often. I still have over 50% battery at the end of every day.

7. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

How many hours?