How do I turn my Windows Vista into a Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LaxChris, Dec 13, 2008.

1. LaxChris macrumors newbie

I heard you can for a cheap $100. Is there a way? NO I'm not selling this to get a mac. I just got this computer my parents are going to be like, "YOU JUST GOT THIS COMPUTER YOU'RE NOT GOING TO GET A MAC!"

So. . .Any help?

EDIT: So if I buy a mac could I turn that into a Vista if I needed to?
    EDIT2: When I switch to Vista like ejenks909 said using BootCamp will it like open in a window? Or.. Like turn into one and erase all my Mac data? Also, Is the MiniMac a deal? The iMacs are way to much.
    EDIT3: MacWorld???

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nope. We don't do that. Sell it and save up for a Mac. Deal with that reality.

3. ejenks909 macrumors newbie

As an answer to your second question, yes, because you could run bootcamp and use vista on your mac.

4. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

Although possible, I wouldn't recommend trying to run OS X on your PC. You could buy a Mac, and then be free to run Windows XP, Vista, or Seven on it.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If you are going to buy a Mini, wait until MacWorld at least. If nothing happens at MacWorld, ignore the Mini for the rest of its existence.

6. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

If you want to get away from windows but don't have apple hardware, check out Ubuntu Gnu/Linux. With Ubuntu you can use a lot of great free open source software and ubuntu itself is free. There are also ways to make ubuntu look like mac os x. There are other versions of Linux as well.

If you want something that looks more macish out of the box, check out opensolaris. With opensolaris you can install VirtualBox to run windows vista (and its software) inside opensolaris like it is an application.

VirtualBox works with Linux and Windows so you can install it in vista and try out linux or opensolaris before you make the switch to see which one you like.

Both Ubuntu and opensolaris are downloaded as LiveCDs so once burned, you just pop the disk into your computer, wait for it to boot up, and try them right off the disk.

VirtualBox also works with Mac OS X but you can only host other OSes you can't have Mac OS X as a guest OS. VirtualBox is a really good free alternative to Parallels and VMware. I have had less problems with VirtualBox than anything else for virtualization.

7. tycheong macrumors member

VISTA is an OS...not a computer
    a mac is a computer
    please dont say 'turn my windows vista into a mac'
    rather, say 'my pc'

but
    you CAN run OS X Leopard on a virtual machine on your pc
    i'm sure someone here on macrumors could explain that to you

bootcamp will not open up vista in a separate window or erase all your mac data
    the mac mini (not minimac) is probably has the WORST value ever
    but if you are looking for the most basic mac and if you already have a keyboard, mouse, screen, etc then go ahead. its not my money...
    but imacs are NOT WAY TOO MUCH and have a much better value and 'bang for your buck.'
    you could always sell your pc and use the money from that to get a mac...

and then theres also the hackintosh method but i wouldnt recommend that

no one really knows whats going to happen at macworld
    most likely the desktop line of macs are to be refreshed such as the imac and mac pro
    maybe even the 17 inch macbook pro
    but who knows
    snow leopard should come out at wwdc

8. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You can only run Leopard server virtually.

Hopefully Apple will update the mini at MWSF.

no it shouldn't. It might be more openly seeded to developers, but we shouldn't expect Snow Leopard until the end of 2009.

9. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba