How do I turn off computer display while using Airplay?

MiamiC70

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
How do I turn off computer display while using Airplay?
Using my late 2011 MBA w/ TB Cinema display to stream to my 58" Samsung via ATV3 but I cannot figure out ow to turn off the main display while I do so. What do you guys do while streaming via ATV?

dtmint23

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2012
Control + Shift + Eject should work.

Sorry just checked and it doesn't.

Last edited:

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
I just turn the brightness on my MBP all the way down. It doesn't affect the AirPlay stream but it effectively turns off the internal display. I don't usually have an external display connected when using AirPlay though.

testerdennis

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2011
I just turn the brightness on my MBP all the way down. It doesn't affect the AirPlay stream but it effectively turns off the internal display. I don't usually have an external display connected when using AirPlay though.
t1 that's exactly what I do.

mccoy015

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
That does NOT turn off the display. It turns off the backlight. The display is still on.

MiamiC70

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
Seems like this would have been an obvious feature built into Airplay :(

Mark Octavian

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2011
Have you tried Control+Shift+Eject? It will put my main display to sleep.
I'm not the OP, but I've tried it and it only works partially: the audio continues to play on the AirPlay device, but the video freezes the moment you press those keys. Kinda defeats the purpose.