How do I turn off monitor ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jollyware, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Jollyware macrumors newbie

I have a 27" iMac and used to use shirt+ctrl+eject to turn off the monitor.

I recently upgraded to OSXML and this key combination now appears to put the mac to sleep rather than just turn off the monitor.

Does anyone know if the key combo has changed ?

Thanks.

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Check System Preferences - Energy Saver and set the computer to sleep as NEVER.

3. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

Dumb me, I didn't know you could turn of just the LCD on an iMac but I guess it makes some sense, personally when not in use like when I'm out or at night I'd just put the whole computer to sleep unless the iMac needed to run 24/7.

4. blanka macrumors 68000

You can't turn off the monitor of an iMac (just that). It has never been possible. Either sleep, or with the screen on. If you want too because you attach a serious external screen, the only thing to do is to just disconnect internal wires and hope it keeps working.

5. kjid macrumors regular

You can use the shortcut cmd+shift+eject to turn off the display. Use cmd+option+eject to put it in sleep.

6. Jollyware thread starter macrumors newbie

Turning off your iMac display, at will and instantly, is much easier than most people suppose. It is nothing more than a keyboard shortcut. This is somewhat amazing considering all the lengths people go to to accomplish this (setting screen sleep to 1 minute in power settings, using a completely black screensaver, or even developing software!)

CONTROL + SHIFT + EJECT. That's it! These 3 buttons, press simultaneously (you can press them down 1 at a time, but they must all be down by the end of the command) will cause your "display" (not computer) to "sleep", which turns it off.

Simply shake the mouse or press any button to turn the screen back on.

If you want to set your iMac to actually "Sleep" (not just the screen), just activate it in the "Energy Saver" pane in the "preferences" area.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

In all honesty, I just have a Hot Corner set, top left, that when I place the mouse there, the display turns off. If you're using the computer and moving the mouse obviously when you place it there sometimes it will be an annoyance, so you can opt to have to press a Hot Key (option, command, etc) at the same time to create this action.

:)

8. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Before ML.. Ctrl - Shift - Eject is the shortcut to turn off iMac display without sleep or turn off the machine or distracting any operation. Try that and you'll see.

Now ML apparently changed the way some things work.

To the OP. Have you tried any other key combination? Cmd-Ctrl-Eject used to be for Restart and Cmd-Option-Eject used to be the one to Sleep your system. What do they do on ML?

9. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

You can also set it to use hot corners instead. easier in my opinion.

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Hahaha I already said that! Idea stealer! :p

11. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Sorry hahaha didn't even read your post. Great minds think alike.

12. Bobby.e macrumors 6502