How do I turn off retina?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Puevlo, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

I read that although the battery in the iPad 3 is bigger since the retina display uses up more power the battery life ends up slightly less. So how can I turn off the retina display and just have a normal display like the iPad 2? I couldn't find anything in settings. Thanks.

2. rovex macrumors 65816

3. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

It isn't.

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

To be fair the OP might have assumed this can be done on an iPad because you can indeed adjust the resolution on a desktop/laptop computer--as you know.

Not sure why 10 people had to make the same point that it can't be done though. Not everyone who comes here to ask a question has an extensive knowledge.

5. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Computers have the ability to change the resolution of the screen. The iPad does not :(

6. Coldmode macrumors regular

Most of the answers here haven't been exactly helpful, so I'm going to answer your question assuming it's a real inquiry.

The reason the iPad 3 uses more battery than the iPad 2 is that there are more physical pixels in its display. Even assuming you could change the screen resolution on the iPad (which you can't), the lower resolution setting would still draw the same amount of power because it's using the same number of pixels to draw a blurrier picture. If you're in search of extra battery life, I'd recommend setting the brightness a little lower or turning off LTE or Wi-Fi when you don't need it.

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The reason for the larger battery is mostly because the higher pixel density display requires a more powerful backlight to achieve the same brightness.

That's a function of the physical density of "stuff" in the display panel that light must pass through. You can't change that via a software setting.

The best you could do to increase battery life regarding the display would be to lower the screen brightness.

8. bearda macrumors 6502

The problem is that adjusting the resolution of the display doesn't make a difference in terms of power usage, even on a normal computer. The power draw is from lighting up 4 times as many pixels. Even if you set the resolution low so you're not trying to control them separately they're still there. It may reduce the GPU utilization a bit, but the display is going to have a similar current draw regardless of the resolution it's set to on an LCD. Software can't change the number of pixels on the display.

9. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

MOD NOTE

Let's keep this thread on topic. Remember, there are various level of technical aptitude on these forums. Any further insults , off topic posts will be dealt with individually.

10. MacMane macrumors regular

So the very slightly less longer battery life is bothersome to you?