How do I turn off the added saturation in iPhoto and Preview?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by burningrave101, May 9, 2008.

1. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

Pictures look quite a bit more saturated or something in both iPhoto and Preview compared to how they look in just Photoshop or something else. What's the deal? How do you fix it so it just shows the image how it actually looks?

Also, does iPhoto do any changing to a photo when you import it from your camera and then export it to your desktop?? I saw someone else post a thread on here stating they had noticed the image looked different. I see in Advanced properties of iPhoto there is an option that's checked to Embed ColorSync profile. Any photo editors on here what needs to be disabled so that an image doesn't get changed from it's original at all??

2. burningrave101 thread starter macrumors 6502

You mean to tell me that none of you have noticed this before?? I'm starting to see that the issue happens in a lot of apple based apps. When I open the image in iPhoto, Preview, Safari, or even image editors like GraphicConverter X the image is quite a lot more saturated and vivid compared to if I just open the image in FireFox or Opera. This become most evident to me when I was working in Photoshop CS3. When I had the image on my apple laptop display it was more saturated but when I drug the window for the photo over to my external Dell LCD that saturation went away as soon as I released the mouse button. What the heck is going on here lol? This was something I noticed when I first got my MBP cause I had been used to using PC's and when I opened up a lot of my photos they looked overly saturated.

3. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I don't know all the details, but Safari for instance supports color profiles, and Firefox last I checked does not. Meaning if the image has a profile attached, it will look different in apps that don't support it.

4. burningrave101 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok that's good to know. But what about with Photoshop CS3? When I have the image window on my laptop display the photo looks more saturated but when I drag the window out to my external display it goes away. It stays of course until I actually release the mouse button though so I can see the higher saturation on my external LCD as long as I hold down the mouse button. Then I have to drag it back to the apple laptop display and release the button and it changes back.

5. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Well your different screens have their own color profiles. Try calibrating them to match.

6. burningrave101 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't understand how that's it though. The images look saturated on my external monitor as well when I have them open in iPhoto, Safari, GraphicConverter X, ect. Right now I have my Photoshop window opened side by side with my GraphicConvert X window and the saturation level is like ~+15 higher on the one or something.

7. burningrave101 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've finding all kinds of information on this issue now that I figured out what to search for. Searching for "iphoto color profile" turned up a lot of posts from people who were experiencing the same thing as me.

http://www.mnot.net/blog/2006/01/08/colour

http://www.flickr.com/help/forum/27873/?search=noticable

http://weblog.bluedonkey.org/?p=525

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=iPhoto/6.0/en/hlp323.html

Can anyone else shed some more light on this for me in detail about these color profiles and which is better to use and which I should be looking at when editing images for color accuracy in like Photoshop?? sRGB is what I've been used to seeing I guess all this time when I was editing on my PC laptops in Photoshop CS3 or whatever. Now that I've made the switch to Mac is looks like certain Mac related programs such as iPhoto, Preview, Safari, and some other photo editing programs are using the Adobe RGB color profile. For me the Adobe RGB makes some of my images look too overly saturated while others look fine with it. The thing I can't figure out though is why in Photoshop CS3 it's switching between color profiles or something when I drag my editing window from my laptop LCD over to my Dell external LCD.

8. mac0410 macrumors newbie