How do I turn off the "phone" radio without also killing GPS?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by lordhamster, Dec 17, 2009.

1. lordhamster macrumors 6502

There are times when I use my iPhone as a GPS device. We all know how annoying it is to get a phone call mid navigation. Is there any way that I can turn off the phone feature without killing the GPS? Airplane mode seems to force the GPS to stay off.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes that is annoying. You gotta wait for the app to restart again after the phone call while in the meantime you missed your exit:)
    if you got a JB iPhone You can use backgrounder to avoid that.

3. radioBirdman macrumors newbie

I have backgrounder installed but haven't used it before. I have just now gone and added my Tom Tom app to the 'always enabled' list in Backgrounder.

Does that now mean if i get a call while using the app, it will minimise for the call, but keep working, so when I re-open it will still be navigating me?

4. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

In theory it should. Try it out. Have a friend call you after selecting a route.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What I usually do is hold down the home button while using the gps app to enable, and then when I'm done I do the same to disable it. If you always have apps run in the back that you don't need your battery will die very fast.
    With navigon if it's backgrounded it continues to run and even while on the phone you hear the audio directions and when you hang up you're right were you left.

6. radioBirdman macrumors newbie

I'll give it a go after work. Cheers :)

Oh I didn't realise that would leave TOm Tom ALWAYS running, but yeah that makes sense huh?

I'll do it manually each time (though my version of backgrounder uses the power button not the home button - that is used for voice control).

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes same thing, you can pick what button you want to use to activate the background service in the settings of the app.

8. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

If you're jailbroken, you can turn off the phone using SBSettings without affecting GPS. Note that it might take longer to get an initial lock without data access for the aGPS.

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

If I create a phone call with Navigon on with my voice control through my radio I have to reload my Navigon, but if I receive a phone call, as soon as I end it it goes back to where it was on my route. i think its a great feature to have. This way I don't have to fiddle around with that while I'm trying to drive.