How do I turn off the 'system' notifications?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by petrucci666, Nov 6, 2013.

1. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

petrucci666

For example, everytime I get off WiFi and switch to LTE, I get a popup saying something like 'Location Accuracy - Turn on WiFi for more accurate location'.

Can I turn these off? iPhone 5 on 7.0.3.

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You cannot turn these off.

3. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

Turn off wifi networking under the location services menu.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Don't think that has anything to do with a pop up like that.

5. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

I mean I've never seen this popup and I have both turned off and usually leave wifi on regardless of being connected or not. And when I've been in a bad wifi area, when it is turned off, still never seen this popup.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23156066#23156066
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1628260

----------

Ok I just forced myself to get the pop up using Facebook with wifi turned off. My guess is the only possible way to get rid of this pop up is to turn off location services for the apps that prompt it while using them with wifi off.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I've pretty much left my wifi turned on all the time now because of those messages, which I guess is Apple's plan here. It's working on me, anyway.

7. petrucci666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

petrucci666

I don't know why Apple would want that really, it drains the battery and they have nothing to gain from telling us to keep WiFi on. My battery is getting murdered.

8. CTHarrryH macrumors 68000

I don't get those messages that would drive me crazy.

I have WiFi turned on in location services.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Simply having WiFi on is murdering your battery? That doesn't seem right at all.

----------

Do you have WiFi off, or turn it on/off often/regularly?

10. petrucci666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

petrucci666

I turn it on/off twice a day really - when leaving for work and when leaving work.

My battery just dropped 15% in about 30 minutes, no heavy usage. But that's off topic.

11. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i leave my wifi on 24/7 and it has no effect on the battery. if you have "ask to join networks" turned on, that might since its always looking for it.

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Wifi networking in the location services section is to report wifi hotspots to Apple so they can map them out.

13. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Are you sure about that ???

14. mmomega macrumors 68030

mmomega

Just last night I streamed a movie from my Mac Mini to iPad Mini for 2 hrs and the battery dropped 12%, seems about normal to me.
    My iPads last forever if I'm not playing games on them.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

It seems that a number of discussions and various available information about it points to something along those lines -- e.g., http://discussions.apple.com/message/23070317

16. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5594

Crowd-sourced Wi-Fi and cellular Location Services

If Location Services is on, your device will periodically send the geo-tagged locations of nearby Wi-Fi hotspots and cell towers in an anonymous and encrypted form to Apple to augment Apple's crowd-sourced database of Wi-Fi hotspot and cell tower locations. In addition, if you're traveling (for example, in a car) and Location Services is on, a GPS-enabled iOS device will also periodically send GPS locations and travel speed information in an anonymous and encrypted form to Apple to be used for building up Apple's crowd-sourced road traffic database. The crowd-sourced location data gathered by Apple doesn't personally identify you.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

You know, I was re-reading that today, and based on just the wording this seems like it could just apply when location services are on in general as it doesn't seem to mention any particular system location services (or Wi-Fi Networking or Traffic specifically). I guess it can be logically surmised that there's a relation between those, but it doesn't really seem to actually say that anywhere specifically.

18. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

From various sources you linked I'm not sure the wifi data gathering is actually related to the wifi networking option ....

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

I mostly linked to a particular discussion that in itself links to various other Apple and other sources, and while there's nothing specific that seems to say that, based on what they seem to imply and with lack of other evidence so far it seems that it's more likely related to that than anything else. But, yeah, nothing completely definitive to actually truly verify that as far as I've been able to tell, which makes you wonder.