How do I turn on my macbook without opening it?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Masters512, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Masters512 macrumors member

Masters512

2. jMc macrumors 6502

jMc

Attach a keyboard and mouse and you can use your MB in clamshell mode. It may work with just a mouse as well.

jx

3. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

4. Masters512 thread starter macrumors member

Masters512

oops, i forgot to specify that i mean power it on, i didnt mean wake it up from sleep

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

dont shut it down, just sleep. or leave it open? not that hard.

6. Masters512 thread starter macrumors member

Masters512

i want to use only my external monitor, without my macbook monitor being on, but every time i want to turn my macbook on, i have to open it, press power, then close it... its getting annoying... and ive seen other people that have their macbook underneath a stand or something so i was wondering if there is a way to power up a macbook without opening it to press the power button.........

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

The people that use the stands leave the PC in sleep and just wake it with an external keyboard. There's no way to power up a macbook without opening and pressing the power key. Some laptops (I remember my old Dell) had a dock and there was a button on the dock that you could use to power up. However, MacBooks and MBPs don't have a feature like this.

8. Masters512 thread starter macrumors member

Masters512

oh ok, thanks old-wiz, that pretty much answers my question

9. Jasoco macrumors 6502

Remember way back when Apple used to put power buttons on their keyboards? Then they removed them and someone made an excuse that it was because they couldn't turn the computer on via USB? Well, that's not true. My old style iMac G3 pre-Pro keyboard still works fine with powering on my Macs. At least the PPC ones. Does it still work with newer Intel ones?

Frankly, I prefer to use both monitors when connecting one to my MacBook. I get more space to work with that way. My 13" built-in and my 20" Apple Cinnamon Display.