How do I unbrick an iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by php111, Jul 4, 2014.

1. php111 macrumors regular

How do I unbrick an older iPhone model which is the iPhone 4. Its CDMA so carrier is Verizon. I think it bricked earlier this year or sometime last year and I could not live without a phone so I activated my Galaxy S3 and I miss the iPhone 4 including my favorite which is FLEX. How it happened? Well, I was trying to charge it using broken chargers of Apple chargers and non-Apple chargers. Now, I have a working charger but it will not to this day charge my phone. I know in the past it will not even recognize in iTunes nor TU nor anything else and it will not even turn on. Could anyone please help? Thank you!

2. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

3. php111 thread starter macrumors regular

I just tried that and nothing happens and no messages or nothing and yes, iTunes is open while doing this and the iPhone is connected to my PC via USB cable. I hold home+power for 10 seconds and release power and continue holding home and I held it long enough to see but nothing happens.

4. php111 thread starter macrumors regular

It might be a "dead" iPhone where "dead" is its not charged but "bricked" as well. Obviously to enter DFU you need juice in the phone and I recall trying to charge it using broken chargers because it was dying on me and it needed to be charged and the next thing nothing won't turn it back on and it will not even get a signal for charging even using almost a brand new charger that I rarely use.

5. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

It's impossible to brick an iPhone unless it's a hardware failure...

6. php111 thread starter macrumors regular

OK, but its not even getting a charge neither connected to wall nor the PC and it will not turn on or anything and trying to enter DFU and nothing happens and iTunes will not recognize it and no messages or anything.

7. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

If it wont charge or anything, either the batter has been drained so much that it cant charge itself or theres a hardware problem. Either way it's hardware.

8. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

you cant put the phone in DFU mode if it wont even charge :confused: duh, it needs power. if you cant even charge the phone then dont bother trying anything else.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Have you tried letting it sit for 10+ hours connected to a wall power source? That will charge it if it doesn't have a hardware failure.

10. php111 thread starter macrumors regular

No, I have not tried that, well not for 10+ hours. I will try that. Thank you!

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The ten hours may be a slight exaggeration. Anything more than 5 should be good.

12. php111 thread starter macrumors regular

The iPhone still will not charge and it will not turn on. It was like almost 4am when I seen your reply and I tried it and right now as of replying its closer to 3pm.

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It likely has a hardware failure and it will never work again.

14. php111 thread starter macrumors regular

Do you think it would be a good idea to call into Verizon Wireless Customer Service and try to switch out my iPhone? Its like 3 years old. I got it in 2011.

15. 960design macrumors 68030

Yep, charging circuit destroyed by crappy charger. Your phone is no longer in the brick category, it has moved on to paperweight.

16. php111 thread starter macrumors regular

I am not talking or even asking for Apple to repair it. But if I was able to find an iPhone repair shop in my area hopefully for very cheap but would they be able to switch out the charging circuit for me?

17. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

There's something called Out of Warranty replacements for iPhones, you may be eligible for a new iPhone 4 for a reduced amount, something around $150-200. Might be cheaper than a repair....well, probably not, but that's an option Apple offers to customers.

18. php111 thread starter macrumors regular

I currently have the Total Warranty Coverage, and I am going to file a claim with Asurion. However, I need either the ESN/MEID/IMEI. How do I get this with a dead iPhone? I purchased this iPhone from Verizon in July 2011. Since my iPhone was shot and it was my only iPhone so I activated the Galaxy S3 on my account. Even though the iPhone was an activate line once before but it is not at the moment it is not even a line on my account but Verizon could swap it if I call them but I am not doing that because my iPhone is dead.

19. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

This might help: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4061

20. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

depends on how it was bricked. If it's the 'connect to iTunes' screen it might be solved by a DFU. UNLESS the phone was unlocked for using with another carrier via a software hack, the firmware could be hosed and non repairable so the restore will likely fail

if it is 'bricked' by activation lock the only solutions are to log into the appropriate iCloud account or using one of those unauthorized services that claims to bypass the iTunes servers (and snag who knows what off your phone)

----------

sounds like there may be dock connector damage. that was one of the downsides of the 30 pin design. each group of pins handles a certain task, if the pins for charging go bye bye, you are done.

21. php111 thread starter macrumors regular

Bricked by using bad chargers to charge the phone. Bad=broke chargers while charging it goes off making those charging noises and the phone was dying and needed a charge. DFU is not doing anything. Nothing at all. Its not a matter getting what is on there but instead of using the phone again.

22. php111 thread starter macrumors regular

I was not able to get a new iPhone 4, and tech support could not give me one because the device had physical damage so I had to file a claim with the insurance company and my claim could not be completed because the device is not activate on my account and the timeframe of filing my claim and when the device was activate it was too long. So, instead I ordered the 16GB 4S, its a newer model than the dead phone I was trying to get replaced.

23. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

You should probably cancel the order while you still can.

The 4S is probably going to be discontinued in September. You basically have a phone which will lose support very soon; it's a rather bad decision to purchase one now.

Cancel the order if you can and get a 5C. It only costs a little more and will be supported for MUCH longer. Trust me on this one; you're going to regret buying that 4S a year down the road.

Good luck!

24. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

yeah, get a 5c. or better yet, get a 5s from walmart for $49 with a 2 year contract. not worth getting a 4s...

25. php111 thread starter macrumors regular

I cannot cancel now because it was shipped so I could refuse the package from FedEx.

With my dead iPhone 4, would it work if I buy an official charger from Apple.com instead of buying third party chargers.