How do I uninstall 3rd party downloads?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by withfood, Aug 3, 2009.

1. withfood macrumors newbie

I am new to mac computers......bought a mac book pro 13 inch( 3 days ago)
    I downloaded the software for audacity, capture it, & soundboard
    .....How do i uninstall these program so they are completely removed from computer and not just sent to trash?
    Anyway to check if they have been completely removed?

Thanks
    :)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As there is no Registry (like in Windows) in Mac OS X, it is safe just to put the applications into the Trash.

If you still want some kind of removal tool, use AppCleaner or AppZapper (one of them is free).

Also have a look at Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > "name of the program". You can safely remove that folder. Also have a look under Macintosh HD > Users > you > Library > Application Support > "name of the program" if there is anything left in there.

3. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Two more places to look:

Macintosh HD > Library > Preferences
    Macintosh HD > Users > {your account} > Preferences

Look for {application}.plist files. These are the closest thing to a registry that OS X has. These plist files and the above Application Support files are what programs like AppZapper, AppCleaner and AppDelete remove.

4. wfoster macrumors 6502a

wfoster

Your best bet is using an application that has already been mentioned. AppZapper is an awesome third-party application remover and is worth every penny. I bought it a while ago and can't live without it.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

AppZapper costs $12.95. It performs a task is that is not necessary. The user can manually perform this unnecessary task in less than 30 seconds. All in all, an interesting definition of the phrase worth every penny.

6. nyte3k macrumors member

nyte3k

True. If that's the case, then there is AppCleaner as someone mentioned earlier, which is free.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

AppCleaner is just as good, if not better, than AppZapper; at least in all of the tests I ran with the two.

8. ikos macrumors regular

Appcleaner is great, very simple to use and is free.

9. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

If the Apps you want to uninstall came with an Uninstaller use that, If not just drag to the trash.
    In Windows you need the uninstall control panel (which may or may not work)... you have files scattered all over the place for one program, and entries in a registry file. The Application that you launch in Windows is usually a Single *.exe File.

But on a Mac everything that the Application needs to run is Bundled inside the app.
    If you Open your Applications folder, and double click on an app, the app launches just like it does on a windows machine, but if you Right click on the app you can select "Show Package Contents", This will let you see all the files that are needed to launch the App. No need for a "Registry" as all information is kept within the package. With the App being a Package like this you can typically move it, copy it or trash it with out without worrying about a Corrupted Registry or a bunch of other files all over you Mac. No real need for a Special App to chase down a bunch of files for you.
    You may find a small file in the Library/Preferences directory that the app used to store Preferences in and these are typically very small 4 kb text files and I see no need to have running in the background an app like (AppZapper = 3.9 MB or AppCleaner = 6.7 MB) to delete a 4 kb text file. Every few months I go to Users/user name/Library/Preferences and delete the .plist files I know I don't use anymore. If I happen to delete a .plist file I need it will be recreated the next time I run the app and I can set the Prefs again then, no big deal.
    Most of the Apps that put files elsewhere on your Mac will come with it's own uninstaller to do the chasing down for you.

10. celticpride678