Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnimalPaintball

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
Awesome, I wasnt sure if that just deleted or did complete uninstalls.

Thnx again
mondo

Fiveos22

macrumors 65816
Nov 20, 2003
To be more accurate, it depends on the program. Some of the more involved apps do spread outside the .app folder. >90% of all apps can be moved to the Trash and completely obilterated that way, but you can try picking through the Library > Application Support files to see if it has left behind any preference files, support files, etc.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I'd also like to ask something. If you put an app to trash and empty it safely, does it remove everything from that app by that way? Like all the extra files etc.

elcid

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2007
I'd also like to ask something. If you put an app to trash and empty it safely, does it remove everything from that app by that way? Like all the extra files etc.

Usually no. Like if you remove Office your documents will still be there. Depending on the App your preferences file can still stick around, which is both a blessing and a curse.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
I use a utility called AppCleaner. I think I got it on MacUpdate. Once installed, it also removes the preference files from any app that you drag to the trash. It asks you before they are deleted, and if there are multiple preference files, you can pick and choose what gets kept and what gets tossed. I don't remember, but I think that the first time you run it, it goes and looks for old preference files left over from when you removed apps.

simplymuzik3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
I use a program called AppZapper that uninstalls everything. I think there is a free version, but I have the paid version. I dont remember how much it cost. I would highly recommend it, because it works like a charm. Very simple to use, and it also has an extremely nice icon :D

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
I use a program called AppZapper that uninstalls everything. I think there is a free version, but I have the paid version. I dont remember how much it cost. I would highly recommend it, because it works like a charm. Very simple to use, and it also has an extremely nice icon :D

Same, its the best app remover utility for Mac. I would suggest for anyone to get it.

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
AppDelete is another free application that uninstalls applications and gets rid of all residual files. So far it has performed without any problems. Available on Versiontracker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.