How do I uninstall programs from my imac (I downloaded something I dont need)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AnimalPaintball, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

2. AnimalPaintball thread starter macrumors regular

AnimalPaintball

Awesome, I wasnt sure if that just deleted or did complete uninstalls.

Thnx again
    mondo

3. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

To be more accurate, it depends on the program. Some of the more involved apps do spread outside the .app folder. >90% of all apps can be moved to the Trash and completely obilterated that way, but you can try picking through the Library > Application Support files to see if it has left behind any preference files, support files, etc.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I'd also like to ask something. If you put an app to trash and empty it safely, does it remove everything from that app by that way? Like all the extra files etc.

5. elcid macrumors 6502

Usually no. Like if you remove Office your documents will still be there. Depending on the App your preferences file can still stick around, which is both a blessing and a curse.

6. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

I use a utility called AppCleaner. I think I got it on MacUpdate. Once installed, it also removes the preference files from any app that you drag to the trash. It asks you before they are deleted, and if there are multiple preference files, you can pick and choose what gets kept and what gets tossed. I don't remember, but I think that the first time you run it, it goes and looks for old preference files left over from when you removed apps.

7. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

Fiveos dude love those t-shirts. A Chicago boy pimping Brett Favre though...? :confused: :D

8. simplymuzik3 macrumors 6502a

I use a program called AppZapper that uninstalls everything. I think there is a free version, but I have the paid version. I dont remember how much it cost. I would highly recommend it, because it works like a charm. Very simple to use, and it also has an extremely nice icon :D

9. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

Same, its the best app remover utility for Mac. I would suggest for anyone to get it.

10. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

That's why they call me a transplant. I dig Chicago...it is treating me well, but I'm all Favre at heart.

11. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

AppDelete is another free application that uninstalls applications and gets rid of all residual files. So far it has performed without any problems. Available on Versiontracker.

12. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89