how do i uninstall programs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lotusteve, Jul 17, 2010.

1. lotusteve macrumors newbie

in windows i had to uninstall programs i did now want to use any more, but i cant find the uninstall button to remove a couple of programs i dont need anymore in my imac. (be easy on me ive only had it 3 days:D)

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

For most applications just drag into the trash or at least our of the applications folder. For some like iTunes it is almost impossible.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Most applications have their files contained within the application itself. So if you drag the file to the trash and empty the trash, it is effectively uninstalled.

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

LOL...a common switcher question. Drag unwanted stuff to the trash (just like in real life). That is your uninstall.

5. zaffle macrumors member

moving the app to the trash is not really completely uninstalling. when you use applications they often distribute preferences and other files around, and while not very large is just messy.

i recommend AppZapper. http://www.appzapper.com/

6. bas-macfan macrumors member

I agree, works great!

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You won't find an Uninstall Button, but you may find a "Remove ____" application icon for some programs. If there is one, it's best to run it. Second best is the "jack-of-all-trades" uninstallers like AppZapper, but they are not perfect. (so says MacWorld, not just me) But, as noted above, in many cases just dragging the icon to the Trash is all that's required. How to know? Use the Help file for the app and search for "uninstall" or "remove".