How do I unlock 2g phone and not lose ATT service? (Windows method)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Slip Jigs, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

Objective: I want to unlock and jailbreak 2g phone to get best price on eBay. Still need to use phone in the meantime!

Background: Current ATT subscriber, iPhone 2g 2.0.1, iTunes 7.7, Vista.

What I've done so far: Backed up phone, and followed tutorial using Winpwm. I did not check "Activate Phone", but did check the other Boot things, etc. The entire process went off without a hitch - but I don't think it's actually unlocked.

1. How do I verify that it's unlocked?
    2. If it isn't, do I need to repeat the process, this time checking Activate? If so will I lost my service?

UPDATE: I put in a TMobile Sim, it saw the network - dialed a number, but since the card is not activated, it went to customer service. Good enough?

2. Slip Jigs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Another update and a bump:

I upgraded to a 3g and am getting the 1st gen ready to sell.

I redid the JG and unlock with winpwn, choosing activate and checked the other boxes, attached the BIN files. (did not upgrade to two zero two either.

The process went fine. After, the ATT card showed no service (expected since I activated the new phone) and the TMobile card works, forwards calls to customer service - I think it's a prepaid card.

Is this confirmation that's it's unlocked? I'd really like this clarified, I don't want an unhappy ebay customer.